Latest macOS uodate bricked trackpad

After updating to latest macOS version (Ventura 13.5.2) on my 14" 2021 Base Model MBP, my trackpad registers/spams multiple clicks just when moving the cursor around. I did not experience this issue whatsoever prior to this update.

Apple diagnostics do not indicate any issue with trackpad. I have already restored and the os using a time machine backup. The issue is isolated to the built in trackpad, as an external magic trackpad works just fine. Disk utility first aid across all drives also did not resolve issue. I have disabled and renabled haptic feedback which didn't resolve it.

The issue is not 100% constant, as it has flashes of working for maybe a couple of minutes and then goes back to constantly clicking when my finger is on the pad.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 7:11 AM

As it does not occur when using external magic trackpad but does when not using external

Have you tried the old >>

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

If still happening, then have a few suggestions as this could be a Hardware Issue ;

1 - Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

2 - Make an Appointment at the Apple Genius Bar and have them evaluate the computer

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2023 7:11 AM in response to Low1n_

As it does not occur when using external magic trackpad but does when not using external

Have you tried the old >>

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

If still happening, then have a few suggestions as this could be a Hardware Issue ;

1 - Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

2 - Make an Appointment at the Apple Genius Bar and have them evaluate the computer

Sep 11, 2023 8:25 AM in response to PRP_53

Hey,

I honestly forgot about safe mode booting. So far since booting into it, testing, then rebooting normally, the issue has subsided for the time being.

I massively appreciate your quick response as I'm a student and I need a working machine. If the issue pops up again, I'll update this thread appropriately.

Thank you!

Latest macOS uodate bricked trackpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.