Hand me down iPad from a dead grandmother - multiple AppleIDs and no password

My Grandmother passed away a few months ago. The iPad she had was a hand me down from my mother, that I went through and helped her set up (from scratch) late 2020. It has barely been used since.

I've ended up receiving it, and the appleID on the ipad is different to the one on her (now disconnected) iphone. We have a selection of passwords - none of which seem to work for the appleID on the iPad. we can unlock the device (screen lock) and access anything that doesn't require the appleID. The email address for the iPad/AppleID is her iCloud one - so we have no access to that. No devices still active to receive resets via SMS/Email/etc.

Basically we just want to reset the device to factory settings so it can be of use - there isn't anything left on the device that we need to keep (she barely used it despite the effort that went into setting it up and teaching her.) What can be done to reset it to factory settings, or what is required from us to start the process?

iPad (4th generation)

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 2:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 3:05 AM

Any attempt to reset the iPad will trigger an Activation Lock - that will need to be satisfied before being able to reuse the iPad.

The key to your dilemma will be recovery of the AppleID credentials that currently secure the device(s)...

If the associated AppleID or associated password has been forgotten, or are unknown, they may be recovered here:

https://iforgot.apple.com/

To recover the credentials, you’ll need access to any one of the following:

• The primary email address mailbox that corresponds with the AppleID
  • Any of the secondary/recovery email addresses that should be configured for the AppleID account
  • Any of the trusted telephone numbers (fixed line or Cellular/Mobile) that are associated with the AppleID

More information about recovery of your AppleID and associated Password:

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Having recovered access to the AppleID account (and therefore the AppleID username and associated Password), Activation Locks can be removed. There are several routes to this, but for brevity, I’ll refer you to this support page:

Turn off Activation Lock – Apple Support

If your intent is to wipe/reset the device(s) for reuse by a new user, you would be best advised to prepare them properly:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If you are unable to recover or reset the AppleID credentials - and/or you encounter an Activation Lock - here are the Apple support pages that outline the Activation Lock - and the only mechanisms by which it can be satisfied:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

As you will discover, unless you are the owner of the AppleID that was last used to activate the device, you’ll not be able to defeat or bypass the Activation Lock. With documentary evidence that you are the original owner (such as sales receipt showing the serial number), Apple may be prepared to assist - otherwise they and nobody here will be able to help you.

If you have the necessary documentation, Apple have introduced a portal though which you may be able to request release of an Activation Lock:

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support & start an Activation Lock support request.

However, this isn’t necessarily the end of the story...

A close Family member or Executor, with the required supporting paperwork, can make application to Apple to be granted access to the Apple accounts of the deceased:

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2023 3:05 AM in response to CharlieRNZ

Any attempt to reset the iPad will trigger an Activation Lock - that will need to be satisfied before being able to reuse the iPad.

The key to your dilemma will be recovery of the AppleID credentials that currently secure the device(s)...

If the associated AppleID or associated password has been forgotten, or are unknown, they may be recovered here:

https://iforgot.apple.com/

To recover the credentials, you’ll need access to any one of the following:

• The primary email address mailbox that corresponds with the AppleID
  • Any of the secondary/recovery email addresses that should be configured for the AppleID account
  • Any of the trusted telephone numbers (fixed line or Cellular/Mobile) that are associated with the AppleID

More information about recovery of your AppleID and associated Password:

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Having recovered access to the AppleID account (and therefore the AppleID username and associated Password), Activation Locks can be removed. There are several routes to this, but for brevity, I’ll refer you to this support page:

If your intent is to wipe/reset the device(s) for reuse by a new user, you would be best advised to prepare them properly:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If you are unable to recover or reset the AppleID credentials - and/or you encounter an Activation Lock - here are the Apple support pages that outline the Activation Lock - and the only mechanisms by which it can be satisfied:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

As you will discover, unless you are the owner of the AppleID that was last used to activate the device, you’ll not be able to defeat or bypass the Activation Lock. With documentary evidence that you are the original owner (such as sales receipt showing the serial number), Apple may be prepared to assist - otherwise they and nobody here will be able to help you.

If you have the necessary documentation, Apple have introduced a portal though which you may be able to request release of an Activation Lock:

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support & start an Activation Lock support request.

However, this isn’t necessarily the end of the story...

A close Family member or Executor, with the required supporting paperwork, can make application to Apple to be granted access to the Apple accounts of the deceased:

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support

Sep 12, 2023 3:39 AM in response to LotusPilot

With the ipad being set up on her icloud address appleID, and that not working with the password - it means that email address is not viable.

The only other email address she had was her one via her internet provider, which is most likely cancelled months ago.

I believe my uncle cancelled her phone plan and reset her iphone - which counts out receiving SMS and iMessage (iMessage on the ipad requires login)

So it may need to go down the manual request route - it was originally my Mother's ipad so there's a slim chance that there's a receipt somewhere (email or the box may be somewhere) - and in the least it was originally activated in my mother's name and appleID (hopefully that's something apple can verify on their end)

Failing that, we have all the evidence of he passing away in her 90s - obituary, bills sent after her death, etc etc. And can provide a range of info about previous passwords etc too.

Thanks for your help - I'll begin this process tomorrow!

Hand me down iPad from a dead grandmother - multiple AppleIDs and no password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.