Upgrading MacOS from Sierra 10.12.6 on MacBook Air of early 2015

I want to upgrade my original MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 on my MacBook Air of early 2015 to the latest MacOS that can be supported on my MacBook.

Please advise if the correct way would be to make a step by step upgrade from 10.12.6 to High Sierra 10.13, to Mojave 10.14, to Catalina 10.15, to Big Sur 11, to Monterey 12 and then finally to Venture 13 or its also possible to directly jump to the highest upgrade option possible on my MacBook.

Also, which latest upgrade will be best suited for my vintage MacBook Air of early 2015.

Many thanks in advance.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 4:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 8:47 AM

An Early 2015 MacBook Air can go as high as Monterey, but no higher.

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

4 replies

Sep 13, 2023 4:47 AM in response to laalseb

I don't know. Installing five major upgrades, one at a time, seems a bit much. If you're worried that maybe the five-version jump might be too much, you could try things in stages. E.g.,

• Make a bootable backup of your Sierra system, and backups of your Sierra Photos and iTunes libraries. Set these aside in case the upgrade(s) go wrong and you need a way to retry / recover.
  • Upgrade directly from Sierra to Catalina.
  • Run the Catalina Photos, Music, and TV apps – in case they want to "upgrade" their respective libraries.
  • Upgrade directly from Catalina to Monterey

Upgrading MacOS from Sierra 10.12.6 on MacBook Air of early 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.