Final Cut Generators made in Motion not preserving alpha channel settings

The generator graphic is made of vectors - two of the boxes with fill have gradiant trasparency masks, one has "hard light" and the other has "lighten" as the blend modes.

When I publish as a Final Cut generator, the blend mode settings do not translate to the final cut timeline - where I have a video layer below - but I've done this before and not sure why it's not working.

I made a few new motion projects in the trouble shooting process and all with the same results - project settings are transparent background - I've also published the blend mode and opacity settings to see and all the same.

There are a few groups of layers nested into one group - I haven't tried breaking apart the groups but I may try that next.

iMac Pro (2017)

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 9:45 AM

Your generator objects have nothing to interact with (except each other) and regardless of their blend mode(s), backgrounds in Final Cut will not be affected by them.

Convert your project to a Title and leave the Title Background in place and turned on. Make sure the blend mode of the group your graphics are in is set to Pass Through (should be by default.)

Titles are used in place of Generators in cases like this even if Text is not used in the template. (They are colloquially known as "adjustment layers" even though the Title Background is a Clone Layer, in Motion terms, of everything beneath the title in Final Cut.)

PS - transparencies will work in generators for Final Cut... but blend modes do not "make it out of the generator", so to speak.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2023 9:45 AM in response to houseofcogue

Your generator objects have nothing to interact with (except each other) and regardless of their blend mode(s), backgrounds in Final Cut will not be affected by them.

Convert your project to a Title and leave the Title Background in place and turned on. Make sure the blend mode of the group your graphics are in is set to Pass Through (should be by default.)

Titles are used in place of Generators in cases like this even if Text is not used in the template. (They are colloquially known as "adjustment layers" even though the Title Background is a Clone Layer, in Motion terms, of everything beneath the title in Final Cut.)

PS - transparencies will work in generators for Final Cut... but blend modes do not "make it out of the generator", so to speak.

Final Cut Generators made in Motion not preserving alpha channel settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.