Unless I give you a payment method?I can't download a free app??

Press download app Apple asked for payment method I give them one they say this one's already on file and they have used it recently they refuse to download a free app what if I don't want my card on your file but if I just want to download the app why do you have to have a payment method for a free app it seems like extortion

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 1:36 PM

You can download free apps, but you may need to have a valid payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free. 

You can have a credit card / debit card on file and an Apple Account balance.

If you have set your Apple Account balance as your default payment method, your default payment method will be used first by Apple when you need to make a payment.

Free apps has also In-app pruchase.

See -> Buy additional app features with in-app purchases and subscriptions

Buy additional app features with in-app purchases and subscriptions

See also -> Apple Media Services Terms and Conditions

Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2023 1:36 PM in response to Disappointing4681

You can download free apps, but you may need to have a valid payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free. 

You can have a credit card / debit card on file and an Apple Account balance.

If you have set your Apple Account balance as your default payment method, your default payment method will be used first by Apple when you need to make a payment.

Free apps has also In-app pruchase.

See -> Buy additional app features with in-app purchases and subscriptions

Buy additional app features with in-app purchases and subscriptions

See also -> Apple Media Services Terms and Conditions

Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple

May 12, 2024 5:11 AM in response to Disappointing4681

I think apple needs to be sued especially if it’s a free app it’s my phone not apples and they should not be able to dictate downloading apps when it’s a free app it’s like they are controlling our phones and we have no say about it I am starting to hate apple and rather have a android where u can download a app without having to put a payment in

Unless I give you a payment method?I can't download a free app??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.