Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Will iPhone 8 Support iOS 17 Update?

When Apple introduces the new iPhone next week, will my iPhone 8 become outdated and no longer eligible for iOS updates and security protections?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 8, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 8:31 PM

The iPhone 8 cannot run iOS 17. (See compatible device list at the end of the iOS 17 page.)

iOS 17 - Apple

Apple just released security patches for iOS 16 and iOS 15. (The iOS 16 patches first; followed by one for iOS 15 a few days later.). I suspect that iOS 16 will be on the list to get the most critical patches at least until iOS 18 comes out, though iOS 16 might not be getting much (if anything) more in the way of new features.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2023 8:31 PM in response to apple_peeler

The iPhone 8 cannot run iOS 17. (See compatible device list at the end of the iOS 17 page.)

iOS 17 - Apple

Apple just released security patches for iOS 16 and iOS 15. (The iOS 16 patches first; followed by one for iOS 15 a few days later.). I suspect that iOS 16 will be on the list to get the most critical patches at least until iOS 18 comes out, though iOS 16 might not be getting much (if anything) more in the way of new features.

Will iPhone 8 Support iOS 17 Update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.