Glitching Screen with Certain Angles

Hi, I have a MacBook Pro 2019. I was using my mac when all of a sudden the screen randomly starts glitching with purple and green lines. It was working before and it randomly started to happen. I realized when my screen is at a certain angle it completely stops. When I put the screen back more, it starts up again. Why is this happening?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 8:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 8:57 AM

shaye229 wrote:

Hi, I have a MacBook Pro 2019. I was using my mac when all of a sudden the screen randomly starts glitching with purple and green lines. It was working before and it randomly started to happen. I realized when my screen is at a certain angle it completely stops. When I put the screen back more, it starts up again. Why is this happening?

This would be a hardware issue with the Display assembly/ display cable

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

The alternative is use an external Monitor connected

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2023 8:57 AM in response to shaye229

shaye229 wrote:

This would be a hardware issue with the Display assembly/ display cable

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

The alternative is use an external Monitor connected

Oct 1, 2023 5:05 PM in response to leroydouglas

Same problem with my 2019 MacBook Pro three months out of warranty. Screen is black with vertical lines but works fine from 0 to 65 degree angle. After several calls to Apple and an appointment at my “local” Genius Bar (an hour away), they want $600 to fix this problem when it is a known, documented issue with previous year models for which Apple offers a PAID fix. Not enough folks have complained about the 2019 yet apparently. Unacceptable.

Glitching Screen with Certain Angles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.