You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Apple ID Family to another country

Hello,

I've my Apple ID has USA as the country, and so do the accounts of my children who are both under 13 and attached to my account as child accounts.

I need to change my account's country. I've read that the procedure for children under 13 is to move them to a new "family", update the country on my primary Apple ID, then move them back.

However, I've read in this thread:

Transferred child to another family shari… - Apple Community

that the child account countries do not update and therefore cannot share any purchases or anything like that.

Has this issue been resolved? Was that just a one-off thing?

I have a second account in the target country, but I can't simply migrate to that account because I don't want to lose the 650+ gigabytes of photos I have in iCloud. I could use that account to create a new temporary family for my children's accounts, but if their countries don't update, then it doesn't make any sense to even try, does it?

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 5:28 AM

3 replies

Sep 17, 2023 7:04 AM in response to Locust76

I'm fairly certain that the only way to do this is to disband the current family group, switch everyone to the new country, then set up the family group once again. Obviously all content that is uploaded to Apple's cloud services would need to be downloaded and backed up first, and you may well run into issues updating apps from the app store.

tt2

Sep 17, 2023 8:08 AM in response to turingtest2

The problem is that you can’t remove children under 13 from a family, you can only move them to a new family, so you’d never have the opportunity to be able to change their location independently. The only alternative would be to move the child to a different family, update the main account and move the child to the new family, but is it even possible to move a child account from a family in the USA to a family in another country?

Moving Apple ID Family to another country

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.