Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

USB-C connecting issue on Dell Monitor(P2419HC) with Macbook Air M2

Though my question might be stupid,

I am trying to connect my laptop with Dell monitor(P2419HC) through USB-C cable.

But the monitor does not seem to detect my laptop

whilst the laptop is being powered through the monitor properly.

The monitor shows,

No USB-C Signal From Your Device

What is the cause of this problem?

I'm using USB-C charging cable from Apple Store. Tried 2m and 1m.

Do I need a software to use this monitor? or comparable USB-C cable?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 7:53 AM

moriyama0101 wrote:

I am trying to connect my laptop with Dell monitor(P2419HC) through USB-C cable.

If what you are using is a "charging cable", that's your problem right there. Many charging cables do not carry data at USB 3.0 rates, let alone the higher rates that a USB-C (DisplayPort) monitor needs. They're just for charging and sometimes for low-speed (USB 2.0) data transfer.

According to the online user manual, Dell included a USB-C to USB-C cable in the monitor box. If you still have that cable, try it. I think you'll find it works a lot better.

https://dl.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics_accessories/esuprt_electronics_accessories_monitor/esuprt_monitor_p_series/dell-p2419hc-monitor_user's-guide_en-us.pdf

If not, go out and get a USB-C to USB-C cable whose description explicitly says that it supports video transfer and that it supports USB Power Delivery. There are many that support 4K video and 100 watts of power (i.e., more than you need for that monitor), and they aren't very expensive. (The ones on Amazon seemed to run roughly $11 – $19 before tax and shipping.)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2023 7:53 AM in response to moriyama0101

moriyama0101 wrote:

If what you are using is a "charging cable", that's your problem right there. Many charging cables do not carry data at USB 3.0 rates, let alone the higher rates that a USB-C (DisplayPort) monitor needs. They're just for charging and sometimes for low-speed (USB 2.0) data transfer.

According to the online user manual, Dell included a USB-C to USB-C cable in the monitor box. If you still have that cable, try it. I think you'll find it works a lot better.

https://dl.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics_accessories/esuprt_electronics_accessories_monitor/esuprt_monitor_p_series/dell-p2419hc-monitor_user's-guide_en-us.pdf

If not, go out and get a USB-C to USB-C cable whose description explicitly says that it supports video transfer and that it supports USB Power Delivery. There are many that support 4K video and 100 watts of power (i.e., more than you need for that monitor), and they aren't very expensive. (The ones on Amazon seemed to run roughly $11 – $19 before tax and shipping.)

USB-C connecting issue on Dell Monitor(P2419HC) with Macbook Air M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.