How to change default highlight color in pages using cmd-shift-H from ugly pink to normal yellow

Using Pages 7.1

Title.

Picrel shows two ways to "highlight" text.

The top, yellow, is done going to text>style>gear/more>text background then selecting yellow. That's a lot of keystrokes when highlighting multiple portions of a text.

The bottom, ugly pale pink, is the default color when selecting "highlight" from the "insert" menu bar; or using the cmd-shift-H keystrokes.

I want the default "highlight" to be normal yellow like in the top selection.

Thanks,

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 10:02 AM

After selecting the commented (not really highlighted) text, select View menu : Comments & Changes : Author color > .

Your 7.7 is an industry standard application of a proper highlight color, and the 7.9 content is a comment/author color, not a true highlight color that other applications would understand. If you don't like pressing the ⚙️˯ to access Text background, then apply the yellow highlight to some text and with that text still selected, create a new character style that you can assign to an F1 - F8 key for a single key application of a proper highlight color.

If you apply the Insert menu : Highlight and do not click on that content to add a comment, then exporting PDF (even if you select include comments) will suppress that false 7.9 Highlight and only the true highlight of 7.7 will appear.

Exporting your solution as Word and opening it in Word 16.77 results in the following, where the true yellow highlight is preserved, and the comment/highlight loses its color and is displayed in gray with the attendant comment box on the right.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2023 10:02 AM in response to michaelpals

After selecting the commented (not really highlighted) text, select View menu : Comments & Changes : Author color > .

Your 7.7 is an industry standard application of a proper highlight color, and the 7.9 content is a comment/author color, not a true highlight color that other applications would understand. If you don't like pressing the ⚙️˯ to access Text background, then apply the yellow highlight to some text and with that text still selected, create a new character style that you can assign to an F1 - F8 key for a single key application of a proper highlight color.

If you apply the Insert menu : Highlight and do not click on that content to add a comment, then exporting PDF (even if you select include comments) will suppress that false 7.9 Highlight and only the true highlight of 7.7 will appear.

Exporting your solution as Word and opening it in Word 16.77 results in the following, where the true yellow highlight is preserved, and the comment/highlight loses its color and is displayed in gray with the attendant comment box on the right.

Sep 13, 2023 5:54 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks.

select View menu : Comments & Changes : Author color >

was the thing I was looking for. It's still a sad looking yellow. But sending the document to a client with yellow highlighting is what I wanted. It's not a shared/commented document but rather I'm trying to highlight certain points for the client to review.

Creating a style then applying it also changes the formatting of the paragraph, so that's a useless feature for what I'm trying to do. That is, if a paragraph contains a mix of bold, italic, underline, and I try to use a style to change the background color of one word, Pages changes the formatting of the entire paragraph to that of the style I created - it unbolds, unitalics, un-underlines, in other words.

How to change default highlight color in pages using cmd-shift-H from ugly pink to normal yellow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.