iCloud Backup confusion

Hi I'm a bit confused on what iCloud Backup is:

I turned it off, as it was 45GB. On googling it, seems to backup 'Documents and Data', however when scrolling further it seems things like messages / contacts etc.. are backed up separately:

I disabled it, but wondering what I'm not backing up? It seems like the important stuff like SMS messages / whatsapp / passwords / etc are backup anyway

Thanks

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 3:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 8:54 AM

There is a difference between iCloud Backup and data that is synced with iCloud.

Synced data (iCloud Photos, iCloud Drive, iCloud Contacts, etc) syncs with iCloud and with any of your other devices where the same option is turned on. The syncing happens each time there is a change (e.g new photo, deleted photo, edited photo). Synced data can be viewed from any device by using an internet browser and logging into www.icloud.com

iCloud Backup backups up data to iCloud. It does not sync with other devices. It only happens periodically when you select "Backup Now" or if set to automatic, when the device is charging and connected to wi-fi. iCloud Backup data cannot be viewed at www.icloud.com. You can only use it to do a full restore or to setup a new device. If you have data set to sync (e.g., iCloud Photos), that same data will not also be included in iCloud Backup.

There are some things that can either be synced or backed up (e.g. photos).

There are some things that cannot be synced but can be backed up (e.g., device settings, Home Screen layout).

See: What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2023 8:54 AM in response to friendlygiraffe

There is a difference between iCloud Backup and data that is synced with iCloud.

Synced data (iCloud Photos, iCloud Drive, iCloud Contacts, etc) syncs with iCloud and with any of your other devices where the same option is turned on. The syncing happens each time there is a change (e.g new photo, deleted photo, edited photo). Synced data can be viewed from any device by using an internet browser and logging into www.icloud.com

iCloud Backup backups up data to iCloud. It does not sync with other devices. It only happens periodically when you select "Backup Now" or if set to automatic, when the device is charging and connected to wi-fi. iCloud Backup data cannot be viewed at www.icloud.com. You can only use it to do a full restore or to setup a new device. If you have data set to sync (e.g., iCloud Photos), that same data will not also be included in iCloud Backup.

There are some things that can either be synced or backed up (e.g. photos).

There are some things that cannot be synced but can be backed up (e.g., device settings, Home Screen layout).

See: What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

iCloud Backup confusion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.