Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Is it possible to have individual notes stored on the iPhone, instead of all of them?

Since Notes are by default stored on iCloud, and that requires an internet connection that may or may not be disrupted, I would like to find out if I can store individual notes on my iPhone?

I have multiple notes, and i really do not know how much space all of them take up.

However, I cannot use the application well, since my internet connections are horrible where I usually am. Please let me know if individual note storage is an option.

iPhone 11

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 11:43 AM

Hello JoshuaCM,

Yes, you can store your Notes on your iPhone exclusively.

On your iPhone, open Settings > Notes and activate “On my iPhone account”. Then, in Notes, you’ll see a new top folder named “On my iPhone”. Notes in that folder will always be accessible as they are stored on your device.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2023 11:43 AM in response to JoshuaCM

Hello JoshuaCM,

Yes, you can store your Notes on your iPhone exclusively.

On your iPhone, open Settings > Notes and activate “On my iPhone account”. Then, in Notes, you’ll see a new top folder named “On my iPhone”. Notes in that folder will always be accessible as they are stored on your device.

Sep 14, 2023 11:57 AM in response to 6x6

Thanks. I would like to know if some notes can be on the cloud, but I can store some notes on the phone. For instance, I would like to download specific notes on the iPhone.

I can see that there is a certain amount of space, but I do not know if switching them over, and downloading all of them will consume too much space.

Is that possible? Also, can they simultaneously be stored in both places?

Sep 14, 2023 12:24 PM in response to JoshuaCM

Typically, the notes stored on iCloud are downloaded to your iPhone as you use them. They stay on your iPhone until the device needs to free up some storage space, which can be never if your iPhone has a large amount of free space.

Unfortunately, the notes cannot be both in the iCloud folder and the “On my iPhone” folder. You could duplicate them but then it would be difficult to reconcile their versions. A better solution would be to move the notes you think you’ll need offline from the iCloud folder to your “On my iPhone” folder. You can then moved them back to iCloud if you no longer need them offline.

Sep 14, 2023 1:16 PM in response to 6x6

Hello, I am editing my reply. I found that notes seems to stop working when connecting to the internet for some reason. I still would like to know why. It is stored on my iPhone. However, I found that if I switch to airplane mode (when they are stored on the iPhone), it looks like it can be navigated and used.

Perhaps this can help anyone who stores notes on the iPhone.

Sep 14, 2023 3:41 PM in response to JoshuaCM

my reply above did not fully work. notes app, as in another thread, reset within airplane mode, and outside of it.

I saw that if i unsync from cloud, there is a warning that it will delete notes from the device. i don't know if that is true. Some articles say it will not be deleted, and others say the opposite.

It is possible some notes were created on an old device, but I really don't know about that, or if so, how many.

Cloud storage for notes seems to say 0kb.

-notes also shows the note that was created on the device (and is stored there), will show it there sometimes in airplane mode, and sometimes not. Then the search feature sometimes turns off in both modes.

-it then will also not show the notes probably at all sometimes when the internet is disconnected.

i do not know if this a cloud issue or not. Since it will sometimes allow the search function in airplane mode, but also the feature says "there aren't any notes" sometimes when the internet is disconnected (something like that), then it means some kind of programming is telling the phone there isn't any notes, even though they are stored on the phone.

Sep 19, 2023 11:38 AM in response to JoshuaCM

i am following up with this. Notes are not stored at all on iCloud, according to the folders listing in the Notes app, and the management setting in the iCloud setting.

My phone shows specifically that all notes are stored on the phone.

there is a setting in the iCloud syncing that if I try to turn it off, it says "notes will be deleted."

Is this a default prompting? Does anybody know why the internet connection seems to be doing something as if it is trying to sync, when Notes are set to store on the phone? I would appreciate it if anybody knows this information and can offer it.

Sep 19, 2023 4:26 PM in response to JoshuaCM

Regarding a program to export the notes, I would advise to post a new question on this forum.

I don't know the encryption method used by iTunes (or Finder if you have a recent Mac) but I trust Apple that it is more than acceptable. Don't forget to write your encryption password. Without it, you won't be able to restore your iPhone. Lately, yes, it is preferable not to open the backup to avoid corrupting it. You can always use Time Machine to see safely the content of your backups.

Is it possible to have individual notes stored on the iPhone, instead of all of them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.