Time machine not opening

I click on time machine and it does not open at all. is there a way to reinstall or what else can I do?

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 8:50 PM

Angielup Said:

"Time machine not opening: I click on time machine and it does not open at all. is there a way to reinstall or what else can I do? Thank you."

-------

Troubleshooting an App Not Opening:

Reinstalling is most certainly an option. But try a few things first...

A. Close All Apps:

Close all apps, and try this once more. Use Force Quit for this. See if this applications open. If that is the case, save what need be (if possible), and then Force Quit. Attempt this once more.

1. Go To: Apple Menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: An Item Ending in: “Not Responding
  4. Click: Force Quit button

B. Restart the Mac:

Shut down to Mac for 30 seconds, and then boot up login in normally

C. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, attempt another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2023 8:50 PM in response to Angielup

Angielup Said:

"Time machine not opening: I click on time machine and it does not open at all. is there a way to reinstall or what else can I do? Thank you."

-------

Troubleshooting an App Not Opening:

Reinstalling is most certainly an option. But try a few things first...

A. Close All Apps:

Close all apps, and try this once more. Use Force Quit for this. See if this applications open. If that is the case, save what need be (if possible), and then Force Quit. Attempt this once more.

1. Go To: Apple Menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: An Item Ending in: “Not Responding
  4. Click: Force Quit button

B. Restart the Mac:

Shut down to Mac for 30 seconds, and then boot up login in normally

C. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, attempt another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Sep 15, 2023 8:52 PM in response to Angielup

Angielup Said:

-------

Reinstalling the macOS:

Another option would be to reinstall the macOS. Perhaps an install was not 100% successful? Sometimes, when major changes are made to your Mac(i.e. update installations), system settings (i.e. for apps configurations) become manipulated, technically. So, when reinstalling, nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Important: Be certain you create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

Time machine not opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.