Where is private dns option in MacOS

Neither in Ventura nor in Sonoma i have found Private DNS option, Is there any way Apple is going to add this in future?

Please Help...

Mac Studio, macOS 14.0

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 11:51 AM

I don't think public VPNs will provide you with any level of security. Unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's, school's or bank's servers, they provide false security from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns a number of Public VPNs and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites. 

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2023 11:51 AM in response to Zurarczurx

I don't think public VPNs will provide you with any level of security. Unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's, school's or bank's servers, they provide false security from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns a number of Public VPNs and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites. 

May 1, 2024 1:36 PM in response to hello-chandan

Its been a while since this was posted but you change your DNS by going Settings- Network- click on the network you're connected to- Details- DNS- then type the URL you want to use under "Search Domain" and click ok. Then you've set your custom DNS. It looks different but you can use a custom DNS on Mac. However, keep in mind that as far as I'm aware you'll need to set this for each wifi point you connect to. This is the biggest difference between Mac and Mobile, so if you connect to new wifi don't forget you'll need to set the DNS again. I hope this helps if you end up here looking for the same solution. :)

May 1, 2024 1:38 PM in response to spaceglitter

spaceglitter wrote:

Its been a while since this was posted but you change your DNS by going Settings- Network- click on the network you're connected to- Details- DNS- then type the URL you want to use under "Search Domain" and click ok. Then you've set your custom DNS. It looks different but you can use a custom DNS on Mac. However, keep in mind that as far as I'm aware you'll need to set this for each wifi point you connect to. This is the biggest difference between Mac and Mobile, so if you connect to new wifi don't forget you'll need to set the DNS again. I hope this helps if you end up here looking for the same solution. :)

Yup, that was the first answer.

Sep 19, 2023 3:11 AM in response to lkrupp

see this where u can put url "dns.google" or "dns.adguard.com" not 8.8.8.8 which is easily blocked by agencies

To be honest, the meaning of Private DNS is something like that; surely, you get an added security encryption protocol that hides your DNS query over the network. In technical terms, they are called DoH (DNS over HTTPS) and DoT (DNS over TLS).

• HTTPS: Hypter text transfer protocol secure (A networking protocol that ensures your website security.)
  • TLS: Transport layer security (Another protocal that executes secure data packet transfer over the network.)

With these on board, your system has a minimum chance to get a Malware attack, Man in the middle (MITM) attack, a Ransomeware attack or a DDoS attack. And the reason is quite simple, you’re cut off from the public internet since there is no tracking and no unnecessary networking node

Sep 19, 2023 10:38 AM in response to hello-chandan

If you want an answer then you need to ask Apple. The people on this forum don't work for Apple and don't have any inside information about Apple's intentions. We're a bunch of users who try to help other users, so we can't give anything other than our technical expertise and opinions.

You could use the Apple feedback form to suggest that Apple implements DoH in future

Product Feedback - Apple

Where is private dns option in MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.