You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Etisalat UAE eSIM transfer abroad?

Want to shift from an iPhone 13 to an iPhone 15 whereat the old phone accommodates an eSIM that needs to be transfered while I'm abroad. The provider us Etisalat UAE.

Is such a transfer possible while I'm abroad?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 5:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2023 8:33 AM

Just to add a data point here, I recently upgraded my iPhone whilst in the US and was able to successfully transfer my Etisalat eSIM to my new device.

This is in contrast to an experience around a year ago, where the eSIM failed to activate on the new device, and I had to visit an Etisalat store on my return to Dubai - so perhaps something has changed since.

N.B. you’re prompted to log in to My Etisalat on the new device to activate the eSIM, so be sure to have your login details to hand.

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 19, 2023 8:33 AM in response to Chattanoogan

Just to add a data point here, I recently upgraded my iPhone whilst in the US and was able to successfully transfer my Etisalat eSIM to my new device.

This is in contrast to an experience around a year ago, where the eSIM failed to activate on the new device, and I had to visit an Etisalat store on my return to Dubai - so perhaps something has changed since.

N.B. you’re prompted to log in to My Etisalat on the new device to activate the eSIM, so be sure to have your login details to hand.

Nov 19, 2023 3:19 PM in response to AlexanderCaplan

That’s good news, many thanks for posting. 👍

It’s completely “possible” from a technical standpoint with data connection AND a carrier w/ the necessary hardware, software, and procedural safeguards in-place.

Glad to hear that carriers are coming up to speed.

Another ASC member recently posted of successfully provisioning a U.S. carrier’s eSIM on a “post-theft replacement” iPhone while physically located in the U.K.

Sep 16, 2023 6:22 PM in response to sandro177

It’s “technically” possible; however they apparently have their own “procedural controls” in place.

(No doubt intended to combat SIM-Swap fraud)

Alternatively, eSIMs are still fairly new; perhaps the individual with whom you spoke just didn’t know.

Perhaps try a different approach.

Ask them, “If while traveling abroad my phone is irreparably damaged. I then obtain a replacement. How can Etisalat reprovision my existing service on my replacement phone?”

Sep 26, 2023 10:54 AM in response to tom_h_alex

Best of luck, looking forward to your next update.

FYI, part of provisioning the eSIM is deactivating the old nanoSIM.

So if something goes terribly awry, you might have zero working phones … at least temporarily.

So suggest you plan your “upgrade location” accordingly (a place w/ good mobile data coverage, good WiFi and a 3rd phone line available)

Sep 26, 2023 10:58 AM in response to Chattanoogan

Thanks man - yeah, I'm on an eSIM presently.

Flying back to the UAE on Friday - my old phone already has Whatsapp etc activated on it, so if it all goes to pot, I can just get an Airalo SIM on that to see me through the next few days.

I do wonder if I'm just being stupid here, and could save myself some misery by just waiting til the weekend to make the switch. Or I guess just buy an Airalo for the new iPhone and keep the old one in reserve... Hm, you got me thinking now 😂

Oct 4, 2023 12:59 PM in response to sandro177

Unfortunately I have the same issue and I am right now outside UAE and after removing the old eSIM ( according to procedure in apple and etisalat ) it shows that the activation not supported and I have to contact etisalat ( by the way I tried the simple way which is transfer but also was failed .

after I have contacted customer support they told me it’s not possible to activate or re-activate eSIM while you are in roaming outside the country.

The problem I will not back before 30 days and my mobile will be kept close for long time .

I asked them if it’s possible to send the regular SIM card to my post office address inside the country and they have refused.

the technology must facilitate our life not making it very complex .

now I hate this eSIM and I have to back to normal SIM card

Oct 4, 2023 2:16 PM in response to fadiamawi

I’m not sure I understand these two apparently contradictory statements:

“… I asked them if it’s possible to send the regular SIM card to my post office address inside the country and they have refused …”

vis a vis

“ … now I hate this eSIM and I have to [go] back to [a] normal [nano]SIM …”

It might appear that your inability to obtain a replacement SIM while away from home is a carrier policy and SIM-type agnostic … ??? 🤔

(they claim that they can’t remotely provision an eSIM but won’t send you a nanoSIM via post)

Oct 5, 2023 2:17 AM in response to fadiamawi

Thanks for the reply. Understand.

FYI, there is not a technical reason why an eSIM can’t be remotely provisioned over any data channel. (i.e. via another carrier’s mobile data or WiFi)

It’s quite literally nothing but files which are securely downloaded, validated, and installed into the phone’s eSIM. [essentially a “secure enclave” for the carrier(s) inside your device]

In your case it’s apparently the case that the carrier chooses NOT to do so as a matter of administrative and/or procedural policy. (As there indeed ARE significant security risks which must be mitigated)

(although that policy may be driven by the carrier’s own lack of “back office” hardware / software / procedures / training to remotely provision via means other than their own mobile RF network)

Etisalat UAE eSIM transfer abroad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.