Syncing iPod nano to different MacBook Air.

I just bought a gift of an iPod nano for a friend (who lives on the opposite coast) and he really isn't up to loading and syncing on his own so I'm trying to come up with a solution.

Question: can I have him send me the nano, load songs on it, send it back to him and then could he sync and transfer the songs to the MacBook Air we gave him last year (not new, the last intel version).

To do that I assume he would just use Apple Music / Finder version of iTunes and plug it in and sync?

****..wish I did all this before I sent it but it was from eBay new in box...

thanks for any help / advice,

Tom O'Connell

iPod nano

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 12:11 PM

Ah, Tom, you're in a bit of a pickle, aren't you? Buying a piece of tech for someone who treats it like an alien artifact. Classic move, my friend. Alright, let's see if we can sort this technological mess, shall we?

So, in theory, yeah, you could have him ship the iPod Nano to you, load it up with a sweet playlist that you hope he won't hate, and then send it back. From there, he'd plug the thing into his MacBook Air and use Apple Music or Finder to sync it up. That's the theory. The practice? Well, let's just say it involves less rainbows and more fiddly bits.

1. **Ownership and DRM Issues**: If you're using songs from your own Apple Music account to load onto his iPod, he may run into issues when he tries to play them on his MacBook. Apple's like a hawk when it comes to DRM (Digital Rights Management), and they won't like it if they smell shenanigans.

2. **Syncing Overwrites**: Also, be warned: syncing usually means "making the two devices look the same." So if he's got nothing on his MacBook, and he syncs the iPod to it... it might actually wipe the iPod clean. Yeah, kinda the opposite of what you're going for.

3. **Old Meets New**: You mentioned the iPod Nano is new in the box from eBay, which likely means it's old stock. You also mentioned the MacBook Air is the last Intel version, which means it's relatively new. Sometimes, older Apple devices act like they're too cool for school when you try to sync them with newer tech. Just something to keep in mind.

My advice? If you're up for a challenge, go ahead, get that iPod shipped to you, load it up, and hope for the best. But maybe also consider making him a playlist on Apple Music that he can simply download to his MacBook and iPod without all this back-and-forth nonsense. And give him a tutorial on how to do it; we don't want him thinking the playlist is some kind of magical incantation he needs to recite.

Cheers, and good luck with Operation: iPod Rescue.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2023 12:11 PM in response to SausalitoDog

Ah, Tom, you're in a bit of a pickle, aren't you? Buying a piece of tech for someone who treats it like an alien artifact. Classic move, my friend. Alright, let's see if we can sort this technological mess, shall we?

So, in theory, yeah, you could have him ship the iPod Nano to you, load it up with a sweet playlist that you hope he won't hate, and then send it back. From there, he'd plug the thing into his MacBook Air and use Apple Music or Finder to sync it up. That's the theory. The practice? Well, let's just say it involves less rainbows and more fiddly bits.

1. **Ownership and DRM Issues**: If you're using songs from your own Apple Music account to load onto his iPod, he may run into issues when he tries to play them on his MacBook. Apple's like a hawk when it comes to DRM (Digital Rights Management), and they won't like it if they smell shenanigans.

2. **Syncing Overwrites**: Also, be warned: syncing usually means "making the two devices look the same." So if he's got nothing on his MacBook, and he syncs the iPod to it... it might actually wipe the iPod clean. Yeah, kinda the opposite of what you're going for.

3. **Old Meets New**: You mentioned the iPod Nano is new in the box from eBay, which likely means it's old stock. You also mentioned the MacBook Air is the last Intel version, which means it's relatively new. Sometimes, older Apple devices act like they're too cool for school when you try to sync them with newer tech. Just something to keep in mind.

My advice? If you're up for a challenge, go ahead, get that iPod shipped to you, load it up, and hope for the best. But maybe also consider making him a playlist on Apple Music that he can simply download to his MacBook and iPod without all this back-and-forth nonsense. And give him a tutorial on how to do it; we don't want him thinking the playlist is some kind of magical incantation he needs to recite.

Cheers, and good luck with Operation: iPod Rescue.

Sep 17, 2023 12:20 PM in response to Jps_13

JPS-

Many thanks. The main thing I didn't know was whether syncing would move items back from the iPod to the Mac and it seems that it will. The DRM isn't a problem. the songs he wants are all on CDs that we both own so I will just get the nano and see if that works in the manner you describe. This guy is really a nice guy -- my wife talked him into walking every day to lose weight (that was 40 pounds ago and now he's up to 5 miles a day and we want to reward him, not make his life harder :-)

Your blazingly fast reply is really really appreciated!

cheers,

tom

Syncing iPod nano to different MacBook Air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.