Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How do I transfer music from an iPhone XR to a MacBook Pro (OS Monterey)

On an iPhone XR ios 16.6.1 we have a number of albums we would like to copy to a Macbook pro from 2015 using OS Monterey 12.6.9 - so no iTunes. The albums were originally ripped from CDs to a Mac laptop which we no longer have. The music is also on an old iPod touch version 9.3.5. I've read a lot of articles and can't find a way to safely do this. Many of the alternative software options are geared towards Mac users on older operating systems. I am concerned about syncing with the MacBook, which has most of my music Library on it, with the risk of wiping the iPhone/ipod.

I appreciate that some similar questions have been asked before but most people still seem to have iTunes. Any help/advice gratefully received!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 6:17 AM

Wether you have an old iTunes version or have finder on a mac running Catalina or later, the answer is still basically the same same. Sync is one way, from the Mac to the device only.

To extract music from an iOS device, you will need a 3rd party app, and neither iTunes nor the Finder are involved in that process.

Syncing directly with an iTunes / Music library, will replace anything on the device with whatever is on the computer and delete everything on the device.

See the following link for help.

click here ➜ Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - Apple Community

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2023 6:17 AM in response to Darlo58

Wether you have an old iTunes version or have finder on a mac running Catalina or later, the answer is still basically the same same. Sync is one way, from the Mac to the device only.

To extract music from an iOS device, you will need a 3rd party app, and neither iTunes nor the Finder are involved in that process.

Syncing directly with an iTunes / Music library, will replace anything on the device with whatever is on the computer and delete everything on the device.

See the following link for help.

click here ➜ Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - Apple Community

Sep 19, 2023 6:22 AM in response to Darlo58

You can't copy from iPhone to Mac (or anything ) using just Apple apps. There used to be non-Apple apps that did this which you downloaded from the web to a PC, but I don't know if they still work with recent iOS. By all means check online but unless the music has massive sentimental value or is stuff you've created yourself and isn't available anywhere else then I wouldn't risk messing about inside the iPhone's file system if there's even a small risk of bricking the phone.

Sep 19, 2023 8:43 AM in response to Darlo58

Well, as a last resort there's nothing to stop your recording them in real time. Get a USB audio recorder and some audio software (Audacity is OK). You can either play the CDs on your hifi and record onto your PC via the USB audio adapter or plug your phone's headphone jack into it and record them directluy from playing them on the phone. Don't buy a USB adapter that's only for phono (record decks) because the output from your phone/hifi will be too high.

That's what I do when I get the occasional CD that won't rip to iTunes/Music.

Sep 19, 2023 8:48 AM in response to Darlo58

Darlo58 wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, I will not sync! I have looked at a number of 3rd party apps but having read the reviews I was not convinced of one that worked and was safe.

A short trial of Apple Music may be the easiest approach. That should be able to get songs, playlists, and some stats, from the device, into a cloud library, that you can then download to your computer and back up!

tt2

How do I transfer music from an iPhone XR to a MacBook Pro (OS Monterey)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.