Signing in after sleep mode

when my new mac book air has been in sleep mode it requires an administrator password. I don’t have one. How do I fix this?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 2:20 PM

At initial start up, when you went through the setup routine for your new Mac, you created a password. The default is an admin password.

If you didn't have the setup screen at initial start up, you don't have a new Mac. You have a used Mac and it wasn't properly prepared for resale and it still needs the prior owner's admin password.

This is what should have been done: What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

If you paid for a new Mac, and had no setup routine, you need to return the Mac for a refund.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2023 2:20 PM in response to lenoard240

At initial start up, when you went through the setup routine for your new Mac, you created a password. The default is an admin password.

If you didn't have the setup screen at initial start up, you don't have a new Mac. You have a used Mac and it wasn't properly prepared for resale and it still needs the prior owner's admin password.

This is what should have been done: What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

If you paid for a new Mac, and had no setup routine, you need to return the Mac for a refund.

Signing in after sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.