Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Disk Utiliy: File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

I first got this error code when I updated from Ventura 13.4 to 13.5.

Today I updated to 13.5.2. The error code is still there both in recovery mode and out of recovery mode:

File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

What can I try to fix it?

Mac OS Ventura 13.5.2

Mac Pro Tower 3.5GHz - 2019 - 32GB RAM

1TB SSD Drive

Mac Pro, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 10:16 AM

Hello Charles Carr ,  

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.  

Please be sure to follow these instructions when attempting to repair a startup disk or storage device: Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac.

Disk Utility can check for and fix errors related to the formatting and directory structure of a Mac storage device...
To check and repair a disk, you need to run First Aid on each volume and container on the storage device in turn, then run it on the storage device itself.
If Disk Utility tells you the disk is about to fail, back up your data and replace the disk—you can’t repair it.

This next Apple Support article can also help: How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility.

Note: Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:
Apple silicon: Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window. Click the gear icon labeled Options, then click Continue.
Intel processor: Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold these two keys until you see an Apple logo or other image: Command (⌘) and R.

If the issue continues, you may want to contact Apple Support directly for service options as there may be hardware damage to the startup drive: Apple Support.

All the best!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2023 10:16 AM in response to Charles Carr

Hello Charles Carr ,  

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.  

Please be sure to follow these instructions when attempting to repair a startup disk or storage device: Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac.

Disk Utility can check for and fix errors related to the formatting and directory structure of a Mac storage device...
To check and repair a disk, you need to run First Aid on each volume and container on the storage device in turn, then run it on the storage device itself.
If Disk Utility tells you the disk is about to fail, back up your data and replace the disk—you can’t repair it.

This next Apple Support article can also help: How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility.

Note: Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:
Apple silicon: Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window. Click the gear icon labeled Options, then click Continue.
Intel processor: Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold these two keys until you see an Apple logo or other image: Command (⌘) and R.

If the issue continues, you may want to contact Apple Support directly for service options as there may be hardware damage to the startup drive: Apple Support.

All the best!

Sep 18, 2023 8:27 AM in response to Charles Carr

Charles Carr wrote:

I first got this error code when I updated from Ventura 13.4 to 13.5.
Today I updated to 13.5.2. The error code is still there both in recovery mode and out of recovery mode:
File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

What can I try to fix it?

Mac OS Ventura 13.5.2
Mac Pro Tower 3.5GHz - 2019 - 32GB RAM
1TB SSD Drive

ref:

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

Disk Utiliy: File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.