iPhone 11 Pro Max Standby mode isn’t working.

Standby mode isn’t working. I have my iPhone 11 Pro Max on its side and it won’t work. Standby mode is on. I tried turning it off and on again. Won’t work. I have tried lightning and wireless charging. Doesn’t work. What is going on?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 8:27 PM

When placing it on a Magsafe stand horizontally, it goes to night mode about 20% of the time for me (iphone15Pro). Other times it just shows the circle that it's charging, and does NOT enter into the standby mode no matter what orientation it's in. My spouse got a new iPhone15Pro today and it's doing the same thing.

It's mildly annoying when I go to bed and for the life of me the phone just doesn't want to go into standby mode and show the clock.

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2023 8:27 PM in response to IpodLover5-5

When placing it on a Magsafe stand horizontally, it goes to night mode about 20% of the time for me (iphone15Pro). Other times it just shows the circle that it's charging, and does NOT enter into the standby mode no matter what orientation it's in. My spouse got a new iPhone15Pro today and it's doing the same thing.

It's mildly annoying when I go to bed and for the life of me the phone just doesn't want to go into standby mode and show the clock.

Nov 13, 2023 3:12 PM in response to blehp

Amen to all of that!

I have been complaining about engineers being incapable of realizing that not everyone thinks in the, seemingly, very regimented ways they think for years.

OMG.

It is frustrating in the extreme to be forced to spend hours of my life trying to figure out how to use a device that is supposed to be intuitive. I’m pretty sure the brains of most software engineers (at Apple, anyway) are intuition-deserts.

I cannot count on both hands the number of angry tweets (pre-idiotic-x, of course), posts, chats with Apple’s Help people, and letters to Apple execs I have written on this exact topic.

I want a discount proportionate to the amount of my life I am forced to waste in order to effectively access and use EVERY SINGLE FEATURE of whatever device I buy from Apple, based on what my life is worth per hour, a figure I would happily provide.

To paraphrase Bill Burr- I paid them 100% of the money to be able to access 100% of the features.

This is exactly what makes me regret my decision to buy Apple products.

Nov 14, 2023 7:56 AM in response to IpodLover5-5

iPhone 14 pro with IOS 17.0.3. After weeks of trying to get standby mode to just come on when the phone was on its side, I finally came up with a sequence that will allow that. Make sure the screen is in sleep mode, plug it in (this will wake up the phone), immediately rotate the phone and place it on the stand.

OK, now the phone is in standby mode, great. I place my book on the nightstand, and it turns off. During the night it all of a sudden shuts itself down. Lightly touching the sleep/wake button as suggested only takes a screen shot of the phone.

My gut feeling is, sometime during the night, the phone or an app updates or someone sends a message or email and that takes the phone out of standby mode. Not sure but tonight I will disable wifi and see if that works.

I really like the standby mode and would love for it to work but I am running out of options. I have purchased apple products for years because of their ability to work right out of the box; now that I am 80 years old, the box has just gotten too small. I don't need a lot of features but I do need some of them and I would like them to work.

Rant over. I will let you know if turning off wifi helps.

Nov 14, 2023 3:22 AM in response to LizzyRed555

Preach, Sister. The 15 Pro Max is my first venture into the apple orchard and, based on the past few weeks will be my last. There are things I really like about the iPhone, but many things I miss that android offers. All the hype about apple being near perfect is just that. This phone is as glitchy as any Samsung I ever used.

I found this thread searching for a resolution to what appears to be a widespread issue. Standby mode works if I want the screen on all night or I tap the screen if I want to view the clock. Other than when initially turned on, it does not react to motion. Once you use that one shot, the gun is empty. I’ve exhausted every suggestion I can find.

I have survived without this feature, but I paid for it and it should work.

Nov 1, 2023 9:02 PM in response to MrPandoman

I have an iPhone 13 and I was having trouble getting it to work too, but what I discovered is the engineers think they’re so very smart and made it only turn on if you put the phone down and sideways, so if you want to set up your widgets or just look at them you cannot hold your phone because it’s designed to immediately end standby mode. Someone probably thought it was a genius idea because who would want to use their features in any other way than the way they conceived us using them?! I mean they know some people lift their alarm clocks off the table right? I gotta say as we become more and more dependent on these devices the more frustrating it is to have software and hardware designed for inherent behaviors I do not wish to adopt and are not intuitive to me.

if you think this is a lot of btching for no reason tell the engineer who said no don’t make it wait for a swipe! Or a lock button, we can assume no one wants to use this feature while HOLDING their phone! How ridiculous!?

Sep 26, 2023 5:44 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Standby mode only works *as intended* with clock display on iPhone 14/15.

“Unfortunately, even though StandBy will work on any iPhone that can be updated to iOS 17— all the way back to the 2018 iPhone XS/XS Max and iPhone XR — the screen will only remain on if you're using an iPhone with an always-on display. That's an iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPhone 15 Pro, or iPhone 15 Pro Max.”

Sep 26, 2023 6:49 AM in response to Greeneysgirl

Greeneysgirl wrote:

Currently standby mode only works with phones that have always-on display, which is the iPhone 14 series and iPhone 15 series.

That is incorrect. Standby Mode works on any phone that supports iOS 17. It worked fine for me on my iPhone 11 Pro.

The difference is that the screen does not stay lit all the time in phones that don't support AOD. I

Nov 23, 2023 5:10 PM in response to IpodLover5-5

Well for what it’s worth I have an iPhone 15 pro max, and am placing it on an Apple MagSafe charger powered by an Apple USB C power block. Always on display is on.

The phone magnetically locks in and makes the thunk sound effect and the “charging” circle displays briefly.

But almost every time the phone stays in normal mode and won’t engage the standby display. Some times if u pull the phone off and reseat it then on the 3rd or 4th try it will engage standby display mode. , but when going to bed no one have the patience for that nonsense.

the phone is in landscape mode.

It’s on the charger and charging.

the screen is locked.

that state is dead simple to detect by any phone. The feature is bugged.

Dec 4, 2023 7:26 AM in response to IpodLover5-5

The unusual thing is that someone on this forum suggested putting the phone on ‘Sleep’ in settings and it worked.

The next day I tried it again and it didn’t.

i am lucky enough to own a 15 Pro Max and I have to say nightstand mode was one of the promising ‘little daily features’ I was looking forward to but the hit and miss nature of it is baffling.

iPhone 11 Pro Max Standby mode isn’t working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.