Setting up an iPad for child or and adult to use

Hi everyone, I recently bought a 9th gen, 2021 iPad.

I want to use it for my work, checking and replying to emails, reading documents online and making notes.

I also want my kids to be able to use it for their homework and educational apps.

however, when they are using it, I don’t want them to have access to my emails, work docs etc.

I also don’t want screen time controls etc on it when I am using it.

I have created Apple ids for the kids and set the controls I would like.

But I was hoping that I could log in on my Apple ID and have my stuff and then log in as each child and their apps would be there. A bit like with a PC when you log in as different users etc.

this hasn’t been happening and it’s really long winded to log out as them and log in as me.

have I missed something? How can a child and an adult share an iPad safely?

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 11:22 PM

Thank you.

this is such a shame and a flaw in iPad design.

is there a way that I can use parental controls to stop my children accessing my email app, safari and a notes app? That way I can use those 3 things by entering a code but my kids won’t be able to get into them.

2 replies

Sep 18, 2023 4:49 PM in response to SairAnge

Outside of Educational and Enterprise establishments, iPad and iPhone are principally intended to be a single-user device - and are not intended to shared in the same manner as you may be accustomed when using a Windows PC or Mac computer - which has multiple user profiles/accounts.

For managed environments, where multi-user usage is possible, the Deployment Guide provides appropriate guidance.

Shared iPad overview – Apple Support

For unmanaged environments, be aware that if you sign-out of iCloud and other Apple services - and allow another user to sign-in - you’ll not be able to change back for 90-days. So as to prevent account abuse, some critical Apple services will only allow one change of signed-in AppleID (on a device) in a 90-day period.

In conclusion, unless you fully understand and accept the implications, you would be well advised to reconsider any attempt to share your iPad with another user.

Setting up an iPad for child or and adult to use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.