Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple TV stuck on os17 update

Status bar ALMOST at the end. Frozen for over an hour

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 9:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 8:10 PM

They tell you to wait longer but don’t unplug it and contact them. When you contact them they say to bring it in. Which you have to unplug to do. So there’s that. Btw. I waited 3 hours and it was a brand new one that arrived today. Unplugged and restarted, seems fine. So at least wait the hour they asked for.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2023 8:10 PM in response to Urquhart1244

They tell you to wait longer but don’t unplug it and contact them. When you contact them they say to bring it in. Which you have to unplug to do. So there’s that. Btw. I waited 3 hours and it was a brand new one that arrived today. Unplugged and restarted, seems fine. So at least wait the hour they asked for.

Sep 25, 2023 9:14 AM in response to WolverineNow

Same story here. Brand new unit. Used it for a few days, then yielded to repeated admonitions to update the software. The update bar crawled interminably for an hour, and then got stuck at the very last quarter inch. Left sitting overnight. Cycled power in the morning, everything seems fine.

Apple obviously know they have a problem. Do they even test their software before release anymore?

Oct 6, 2023 6:02 PM in response to Bibafgehue

Bibafgehue,

I left the power on overnight. Then I turned off the entire system (including the TV, AVR receiver, and Ethernet switch as well as the Apple TV) using the switch on my power strip. I wasn't sure what to expect: whether the unit would boot back up to the old TVOS (v16), whether it would be bricked, or what. I was pleasantly surprised when it booted to the new OS as if nothing had ever gone wrong.

Apple TV stuck on os17 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.