Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iOS 17 wallpapers blurry at top

Hi I updated to iOS 17 yesterday and my wallpapers are getting blurred on the top, my wallpapers from the top seem to be fine yet but I found beautiful new wallpapers and it’s ruined because of the top blur. My phone is an iPhone 13 Pro Max.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 12:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 9:49 AM

I have a solution! Go into photos and find the photo you want as your wallpaper. Click the three dots in the upper right hand corner and select duplicate. This way you have the original picture and the one you will use for your wallpaper. Select crop and click on the premade sizes. One of them is called wallpaper. Pick that one and adjust the picture so it’s centered the way you want it. Now when you go into settings, select that cropped photo as your wallpaper. No blurring!

263 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2023 9:49 AM in response to Dilon2006

I have a solution! Go into photos and find the photo you want as your wallpaper. Click the three dots in the upper right hand corner and select duplicate. This way you have the original picture and the one you will use for your wallpaper. Select crop and click on the premade sizes. One of them is called wallpaper. Pick that one and adjust the picture so it’s centered the way you want it. Now when you go into settings, select that cropped photo as your wallpaper. No blurring!

Nov 3, 2023 8:19 AM in response to Dilon2006

Apple, this feature is so freaking annoying!!! i want to be able to see my whole wallpaper and this new feature makes it impossible for it to look good or aesthetic. i either have to zoom in so close that the image is blurry and cuts out the best parts, or i have to have this hideous blur at the top that also cuts out the best parts. PLEASE change this or at least make it an option to turn it on and off. i swear you guys always add these nonsense features that don’t make any sense. ever heard of the saying “don’t fix it if it ain’t broke”?????? please fix this. it makes me wish i never updated my phone to ios 17. from the looks of it, many other people hate the feature too. give the people what they want!

Sep 25, 2023 1:54 PM in response to Johatch1910

I too have spoken with several Apple IT people about this issue and the general consensus has been that this is a new feature that was specifically added to IOS 17. They claim it is so you can see text better especially the time and notification area. This is complete BS to me because I haven't had an issue seeing text before so I don't know why they felt they needed to add this feature. So I was provided with a link during one of the conversations to let Apple know that I don't like this new feature. I was told the more people they get that reports they don't like this feature could possibly lead them in the future to remove with a future update.

Sep 24, 2023 1:01 AM in response to Dilon2006

Dear Apple, please stop breaking things to fix them later and call them a feature. No one ever types “ducks” and the blur you added thinking it would look good, looks like a garbage. I can’t express how much I dislike apple and its garbage tactics to manipulate the users experience into being subpar. You would think they would learn after a period of a time that certain things are not good to be done, but still, Apple does it anyway. They hold out on things that the rest of the world wants and slap everyone in the face with things they think are to their benefit. It’s a trash company that needs new leadership.

Sep 26, 2023 6:24 AM in response to Dilon2006

Figured out how to fix it on my IPhone 11. Go to settings, then Wallpaper, then do New Wallpaper…it lets you pick a photo for the wallpaper…then you can click over on the Home Screen and change it if you want. But at the very bottom right hand corner you should see a raindrop looking image that says “blur”. If you click that it removes the blur from the image.

Sep 22, 2023 6:47 AM in response to lobsterghost1

The issue was introduced with IOS 17.0.1 the blur they are talking about is not the blur seen on the Home Screen which you can turn on or off. When setting up the Lock Screen picture which seems to have two problems. One is the ability to use Color Backdrop on all new pics I try to use but seems to have stopped working and the second is as you zoom out the top 1/3 of the picture gets artificially blurred. There is no way to turn it off, since I am in IT and deal with iPhone on a daily basis, I am going to say it's a bug that was introduce and not much to be done but not upgrade or wait for the fix.

Sep 22, 2023 7:24 AM in response to kiljoy

It was introduced with iOS 17 for me, the first update gave me the bug. It's supposed to be a feature that blends the wallpaper to the top of the screen, instead it cuts off half of my photos for absolutely no reason. I have opened a case with Apple on the matter as well. But more people need to do the same to make them aware of it.

Sep 24, 2023 6:22 AM in response to amazingrobie

amazingrobie wrote:

Dear Apple, please stop breaking things to fix them later and call them a feature. No one ever types “ducks” and the blur you added thinking it would look good, looks like a garbage. I can’t express how much I dislike apple and its garbage tactics to manipulate the users experience into being subpar. You would think they would learn after a period of a time that certain things are not good to be done, but still, Apple does it anyway. They hold out on things that the rest of the world wants and slap everyone in the face with things they think are to their benefit. It’s a trash company that needs new leadership.

You haven't written Apple here. This is a user to user only forum. Just users like you are here. And Apple doesn't read these posts.

If you want to share your thoughts with Apple, use this link --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Sep 27, 2023 2:27 AM in response to Zephyrus_Blue

I doubt Apple will do anything about it no matter how much we complain. I shared a screenshot to show what the issue is that we are experiencing since some people don't seem to understand what we are talking about and I received an email last night that Apple removed it because it didn't pertain to the topic at hand or some ridiculous non-sense. The screenshot was nothing offensive, it was simply a pic of my Dog that I had made a wallpaper to show how the top half of the screen is completely blurred out after cropping.

iOS 17 wallpapers blurry at top

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.