Phantom GMAIL Drafts in MacMail

Each morning lately I open Mail to find draft emails that I did not create. I do not use GMAIL to sent messages, these are not drafts that I created. Sometimes they show up in the Drafts folder, today they weren't in the drafts folder but just open and I found them accidentally when I clicked on Windows in the tab bar. There is no content, no message but clearly it is "from" my gmail account. The first time it happened, I changed my password and looked for other suggestions about saving the draft on the server etc which I could not find but I think the point is I didn't initiate these drafts. I can delete them of course but got spooked that someone had control of my email. But then why only GMAIL?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 9:26 AM

FM98U wrote:

Each morning lately I open Mail to find draft emails that I did not create. I do not use GMAIL to sent messages, these are not drafts that I created. Sometimes they show up in the Drafts folder, today they weren't in the drafts folder but just open and I found them accidentally when I clicked on Windows in the tab bar. There is no content, no message but clearly it is "from" my gmail account. The first time it happened, I changed my password and looked for other suggestions about saving the draft on the server etc which I could not find but I think the point is I didn't initiate these drafts. I can delete them of course but got spooked that someone had control of my email. But then why only GMAIL?

There is a bug

Look for any stuck email in drafts or the Outbox and remove those in an effort to resolve your issue

for one of your email accounts. Remove the unsent email typically fixes the issue.

This can happen for various reason— ex sent email with an attachment too big and gets rejected by the mail server.

Delete the mail from the outbox.

verify your macOS is up to date—

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.5.2

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2023 9:26 AM in response to FM98U

FM98U wrote:

There is a bug

Look for any stuck email in drafts or the Outbox and remove those in an effort to resolve your issue

for one of your email accounts. Remove the unsent email typically fixes the issue.

This can happen for various reason— ex sent email with an attachment too big and gets rejected by the mail server.

Delete the mail from the outbox.

verify your macOS is up to date—

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.5.2

Phantom GMAIL Drafts in MacMail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.