Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emails missing from Trash mailbox in Mail

I went to my Trash mailbox in Mail (for the first time since upgrading to Big Sur) to look for an email I’d recently deleted. Not only was it not there, but there were suspiciously few messages there—a fraction of the amount that should be. So I searched all mailboxes for the missing email, and it appeared in the search results. I opened it and looked at the top to see what mailbox it was in: Trash. So why doesn’t it show up when I go to Trash?

One clue: The missing email says it’s in “Trash - Silverjacket” (my email domain is silverjacket.com), but the emails that appear in Trash say “Trash - On My Mac”. What’s the difference? Why are there now two? And where is “Trash - Silverjacket”? (In case it matters, I use POP.)

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 11:58 PM

Just found the solution in another thread (my thanks go out to Joe M21). Hover the mouse pointer over the Favorites line in the sidebar. A + sign will appear on the right. Click on it and an Add Favorite dialog will appear. The dropdown list has all of the "All" folders to place back in the sidebar. That's where the Trash & Junk folders are that contain my emails that were missing. Just add them back in Favorites.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2020 11:58 PM in response to JWSII

Just found the solution in another thread (my thanks go out to Joe M21). Hover the mouse pointer over the Favorites line in the sidebar. A + sign will appear on the right. Click on it and an Add Favorite dialog will appear. The dropdown list has all of the "All" folders to place back in the sidebar. That's where the Trash & Junk folders are that contain my emails that were missing. Just add them back in Favorites.

Nov 16, 2020 7:15 PM in response to mhutson

After update took me awhile to clean up mail boxs, (eg. there were Micro Soft mailboxes / Folders with zero contents and I have never used Microsoft, so off to the trash they went). Also found, Under My Mac there are two Junk, two Trash one for iCloud the other for Yahoo. Then, Yahoo folders also had their own Trash and Bulk (same as Junk) and did iCloud. Pretty much rely on All Inboxes, then for finding Deleted emails or emails in Junk that shouldn't be there, well nothing seems easy. Having said all that since Big Sur update, Big Sur update freezes email with every attempt to send or input a contact name. Apples spinning beach ball of doom freezes sytstem.

Nov 16, 2020 8:46 PM in response to JWSII

Is the sidebar opened? Junk and all the rest show up in he part below primary email boxes, where there is Cloud then Gmail, and all of my mailboxes are showing. What else can you describe what you see when you open your Mail ? The “On my Mac” sidebar section for trash is empty, and there is a message at the top of the thread “lost connection”. In Cloud and Gmail everything shows. I deleted a couple of messages to see where they went and it was into iCloud trash. Looks like Cloud is where most things are destined. I have NOT explored the new Touch Bar function for dragging down into the Touch Bar on my MacBook Pro 2019. I use it for name and address autofill. It is only because I am afraid not because to knowledge. Fear wins with OSBS for now.

Nov 16, 2020 9:16 PM in response to H. Lamar Thomas

Yup, the sidebar is opened as usual. Under "On My Mac" is "Sent," "Trash," "Archive," and all my other mailboxes. When I click on "Trash," at the top it says, "Trash – On My Mac." I can't find the "Trash – Silverjacket" folder (I've tried searching for it in the Finder too). And I don't know why there is a second (hidden) Trash, or why some deleted emails go to one versus the other.

Emails missing from Trash mailbox in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.