📢 Newsroom Update

Introducing Apple Watch Series 10. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Watch Ultra 2 now available in black titanium. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WatchOS 10 battery life

Someone else noticing substantially worse battery life on WatchOS 10? In my case about 50% worse imo.

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 10

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 5:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2023 1:09 PM

The battery life on my Apple Watch since upgrading to WatchOS 10 is horrendous. I’ve had my series 7 watch for about 17 months now. Prior to WatchOS 10, I could take my watch off the charger in the morning and still have 1/4 charge when heading to bed around 12 - 1 am.

I’ve done everything I can think of to improve battery life since upgrading to WatchOS10:

1) Power-cycled my watch (after the update) when I realized the battery life had decreased by approx 50%.

2) Regularly close apps not in use. (Double click the Digital Crown).

3) Reduce the number of apps that run/update in the background.

Still, I can’t get 5 hours without needing to charge my watch.

This needs addressed immediately.

165 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 14, 2023 1:09 PM in response to Calvin_tbr

The battery life on my Apple Watch since upgrading to WatchOS 10 is horrendous. I’ve had my series 7 watch for about 17 months now. Prior to WatchOS 10, I could take my watch off the charger in the morning and still have 1/4 charge when heading to bed around 12 - 1 am.

I’ve done everything I can think of to improve battery life since upgrading to WatchOS10:

1) Power-cycled my watch (after the update) when I realized the battery life had decreased by approx 50%.

2) Regularly close apps not in use. (Double click the Digital Crown).

3) Reduce the number of apps that run/update in the background.

Still, I can’t get 5 hours without needing to charge my watch.

This needs addressed immediately.

Oct 14, 2023 8:49 AM in response to Gilles

My experience is roughly 10% battery usage per hour since watchOS 10, so I'm afraid you may have gotten a new watch but not a solved problem. And the very fact that Apple was willing to give you one strongly suggests that they don't yet understand the problem is with watchOS 10.

I wonder, has anyone tried resetting the watch to factory and reconnecting to your phone?

Oct 4, 2023 8:54 AM in response to LD150

Within 20 minutes of pulling it off the charger, it had dropped 10%, and it kept dropping rapidly. I took it off the charger about 6:30 am and by 1 pm it was completely dead. I had it in low power and airplane mode. My problem started with the update just before 10, and it's gotten worse with 10.

Oct 13, 2023 4:02 PM in response to LD150

FYI, this tip doesn't help at all, at least not for me. I switched to a watch face with only two complications, and no weather functions at all, and my battery usage now is even worse than it was before. In around 8 hours I am down to 40%. Since this is the level I used to see after 15-16 hours, I estimate that the watch is using roughly twice as much power now as it did before watchOS 10. So this the source of the problem, clearly. If anyone has spoken to Apple about this and had any answers from them, I would grateful if you could pass along what you've heard.

Oct 18, 2023 5:38 AM in response to Gilles

Yes, I really hope they fix this soon. I have background app refresh off and this is unexpected. I’ve started looking into other smart watches after I bought this one, bc some need to be charged every other day, I can live with having to charge Apple Watch every day (up to 24-36 hours) but to have to charge it 2-3x in a day to ensure it won’t run out of I have a longer day is really a bother

Oct 14, 2023 11:43 PM in response to Dupre47

Dupre47 wrote:

I can literally watch the battery life go down as I’m watching it. Please, Apple, fix this asap!!!!!! I update my watch and all Apple devices immediately trusting things won’t go bad but 10.0.1 watch update is terrible for battery life!

You should be on 10.0.2 by now

This update includes bug fixes and important security updates for your Apple Watch.

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: Apple security releases - Apple Support

Sep 28, 2023 5:43 PM in response to Calvin_tbr

My battery got worse as well from two days to barely a day, and now I have to even use battery saving mode to last through the day uninstall all the apps and turn off background app refresh.

I don’t really want to use the product if I constantly have to think about its battery life, And not his usefulness. Voice to text recognition got much better, but nothing else practically for me. Kind of disappointing and discouraging to see that happen to a battery life.

WatchOS 10 battery life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.