MacBook Pro M2 Max damages SD cards

The SD reader on my MacBook Pro M2 Max (Ventura 15.3.1) consistently damages SD cards. Upon the initial insertion, the card is read correctly and all its files are accessible. Once ejected and reinserted, the car becomes unreadable and I am prompted to format it. I have tested this behavior with 20 different SD cards of various capacities made by SanDisk, Lexar, and Sony. Running the DiskUtility on the card finds no errors but if I try to mount the card I receive the dreaded "com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error." If the card is locked before the insertion, everything is fine. Using an external 3rd party SD card reader also does not cause this. Has anybody else experienced this? Any ideas what may cause it and how to fix it?

I made a short screen grab video showing this behavior.

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 6:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 7:05 AM

Catholic OS wrote:

The SD reader on my MacBook Pro M2 Max (Ventura 15.3.1) consistently damages SD cards. Upon the initial insertion, the card is read correctly and all its files are accessible. Once ejected and reinserted, the car becomes unreadable and I am prompted to format it. I have tested this behavior with 20 different SD cards of various capacities made by SanDisk, Lexar, and Sony. Running the DiskUtility on the card finds no errors but if I try to mount the card I receive the dreaded "com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error." If the card is locked before the insertion, everything is fine. Using an external 3rd party SD card reader also does not cause this. Has anybody else experienced this? Any ideas what may cause it and how to fix it?

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

You can take it for assessment if you have an issue

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2023 7:05 AM in response to Catholic OS

Catholic OS wrote:

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

You can take it for assessment if you have an issue

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

MacBook Pro M2 Max damages SD cards

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.