Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Pay charging wrong card

So within my Apple Wallet I have 3 cards. Let's call them Card A, Card B, and Card C.

Card A is set as the Default Card in my Apple ID settings.

When I start a subscription to Apple One, it asks me which card from my Wallet I want to use for the subscription.

I select Card B.

When the time for payment comes around at the end of the month, it charges Card A.

I delete Card A, and the following month it still charges Card A.

I spoke to Apple support and the guy told me this is normal behaviour (???). He said the only way to use 2 cards is to every time I want to spend, I have to go into my Apple ID and change the default payment. Surely this is wrong? I mean if it asks you which card you want to use for the payment, surely that's so that you can use a different card? Otherwise what's the point in asking?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 7:34 AM

So I guess the question then is:

Why is it asking me to choose which card I want to use for the subscription if it's going to completely disregard my choice and use the default card anyway? Seems like a pointless exercise if thats the case

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 19, 2023 7:05 AM in response to Leon Lonsdale

Yes, that’s the way it works. This just a guess but when I subscribed to a AppleTV+ channel/app I was able to subscribe and received a substantial discount for using my Am/Ex card. The monthly or annual subscription renew to the default payment card. There is currently no way to automatically switch payment method.

Apple welcomes your feedback.

Feedback - Apple Pay - Apple

Apr 19, 2024 4:13 AM in response to Entrigo9

Generally, the order only changes when a charge is either declined or rejected, or the payment method can’t be used for certain categories of items. PayPal does seem to have issues at times. I think, it’s a PayPal issue, but could be wrong. I’ve linked below an Apple Support article on payment order.

How apps, content, and subscriptions from Apple are billed - Apple Support

Apple Pay charging wrong card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.