Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iOS 17 Default Notification Sound has changed

Why did Apple unilaterally change my default notification sound from tri-tone to Rebound? I suffer from hearing loss and can no longer hear the notification sound. Why can’t the iPhone user control what sounds are used for their notifications? Much like Pavlov’s dogs responding to a bell, for as long as I have used an iPhone, I have been able to hear the notification sound and know what it was notifying me about without looking. Now Apple just decides on its own to change the sound while preventing users from setting their own notification sounds. That is so self-righteous of Apple to assume they know what sounds users want or need to hear.

Unnecessary change is not always better. It doesn’t improve the user experience, it now just makes it silent for me. Please allow users to select what sound to set for notifications.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2023 4:18 AM

How do I change it back to TriTone? I can’t hear Rebound? This is maddening. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Similar questions

117 replies

Oct 23, 2023 4:22 AM in response to Prw629

With great success I have totally relied on the “tri tone” notification sound to alert me for my care responsibilities for my aged parent. In the middle of the night the new “rebound” tone is ineffective. I now fear for his safety because I can’t hear the new alert tone. Can we please, please have some way to choose the tone that’s best for our needs!

Sep 27, 2023 5:44 PM in response to Prw629

Yes…this was a bad move on Apple’s part. It’s so funny how, with every iOS update, they change something that was working fine for no apparent reason.

I have several apps that use the default system alert tone for notification sounds and now I can’t hear them.

I contacted Apple Support about this and was told that yes, they did change the default alert tone (no reason given). He suggested I submit feedback requesting they change it back to Tri-Tone, which I did, but I’m not holding my breath.

Oct 1, 2023 7:39 AM in response to Prw629

Hey Prw629... I too am having the same problem.

I posted the following note within the community and have heard nothing in return.

"There is an issue that has come up after installing IOS17 on 9/18/2023.

The default "alerting" sound (I believe referred to as "Rebound") for the 3rd party apps is not "alerting" at all. This default sound is negatively affecting my devices ability to provide security.

This issue is so bad that I will have to revert to an earlier IOS version.

Additionally, I have contacted the 3rd party companies to address the matter with them and they all point back to Apple's latest release of an OS that is causing this matter.

Please fix this "default" sound (called Rebound) with an updated version of IOS orrrrr allow the end user to select whatever tone they want tto use for 3rd party apps just as we do for texting functions, email, etc.

Thx"

It's a problem.

Oct 12, 2023 8:45 AM in response to AT639

No...this is not the solution to the problem we are referring to. The default alert sound used to be Tri-Tone. For some strange reason, Apple decided to change it to Rebound, a very quiet tone, in iOS 17.

Any app that uses the iOS system default tone now uses the Rebound sound - which is very difficult to hear.

I contacted Apple about this and they said there currently is no way to change the default alert sound. Hopefully it will be adjustable in some future update.

Nov 2, 2023 7:52 AM in response to Prw629

I am hard of hearing and cannot get a hearing aids. So, when I updated this, nearly all of my alerts and rings are gone. I cannot hear the faint beep for my alerts and notifications. And I am missing several of my alarms for every day things like taking my needed medications and waking up to go to work, doctors, hearing the notification on my ring (safety issue), etc. I rely on those alerts, notifications, and alarms daily. Whomever thought of this change, did not think of the hard of hearing people and the elderly. Bye bye iPhone as soon as I pay this phone off, adios. Please put it back.

Nov 18, 2023 11:14 AM in response to Prw629

I just updated this last night what a nightmare when I woke up! I hate that they changed my notification sound my German Shepherd had trained himself to go bark at the window when CPI sent a notification from my camera, now I can’t even hear it and he doesn’t know what it is!!!! Shame on you!!!! You don’t even give us a way to change it back!!! Fix it back ASAP! Thanks and God Bless!

Nov 25, 2023 11:46 AM in response to Prw629

Because of this little snafu and the lack of the almighty Apple not caring to fix this situation, I have decided to get an android phone the next time I need one. I am hard of hearing so now I cannot hear a text coming in or my alarms/reminders going off. I live by those alarms, it is not just an alarm for me to get up in the morning. It is alarms set for me to do many things throughout the day, like take my needed meds or reminders that I had a doctor appointment that day and what time. I cannot hear the alerts now from my security system and that is scary especially in today’s climate. This is totally unacceptable.

iOS 17 Default Notification Sound has changed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.