Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Can’t add songs to my library on iOS

So if I am listening to a new song, often while driving, I’ll hit the + icon to add it to my library. It works, and then a few seconds later it comes back, not adding to my library.

This happens on a bunch of songs, but not all songs. The ones I try to add I always cannot add, and some I can add with no problem.

What is going on? I’d like to get this fixed if possible!

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 8:04 PM

Was this ever fixed? I am having the same exact problem and have been for over a year.

10 replies

Sep 24, 2023 8:11 AM in response to Shyatic

Hello Shyatic,

So we're on the same page, can you tell us exactly what are the steps you're following to add songs to your Apple Music library?

You've mentioned using Apple Music on the web. Are you using it on your iPhone or another device?

Also, are you experiencing the same behavior if you added songs to your library using the Apple Music app on your iPhone? This will help us isolate this issue further.

Please check out these helpful links:

Listen to Apple Music on the web and in apps

Add and download music from Apple Music

Kind regards.

Sep 24, 2023 9:25 AM in response to nbotros

So here's *exactly* the scenario...

If I'm on iOS on my phone, or on CarPlay, OR on the web client, I'll be listening to my radio mix, and a song will come on and give me the option to add it to my library. On CarPlay there's a "+" button, on the web or on my phone I can add it to my library manually.

I will either hit the "+" (this is 90% of my usage as I listen primarily while driving), or on my phone and it will remove it from the option list (ie, the "+" disappears), and then after a few seconds -- comes right back. The song doesn't add to my library no matter how many times I click the + icon.

That's the problem. I cannot add some songs to my library at all while listening to my radio mix. The platform I'm on doesn't seem to matter at all, and I'm presuming because the backend API is responding the same way and the GUI which it's presented with is processing it the same way.

Jan 14, 2024 9:07 PM in response to jhanc92

I kind of got my problem fixed. It seems to mostly be the issue of the limit to the number of songs you are allowed in your library. Nothing will tell you once you hit 100,000, but you will not be able to add any more and things will stop syncing and it becomes a mess.

The solution sucked, but I went to Apple Music on the web and started deleting songs from my library (took forever) and now I add songs to playlists (but have checked mark to not add them to my library). Starting over sucked but it at least worked and I can create playlists and the songs will be there when I add them.

Can’t add songs to my library on iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.