Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t Connect to SMB share from iOS 17

Following upgrade to IPadOS 17, I can no longer connect to my Samba shares. Worked fine before upgrade.

Error message “The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred”

Ipad 7th generation. Server samba version 4.9.5-Debian. Can still connect from Linux, Windows 11 and Android clients.

Could this be a bug in the new files app?

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2023 4:39 PM

Just upgraded to iOS 17.2.1 but still can’t connect to my Synology NAS over SMB using the correct username and password. Like everyone else, this used to work perfectly on iOS 16. Please fix this Apple, it’s pretty poor.

13 replies

Jan 3, 2024 10:06 AM in response to Howzatt

Hi all, thought I would chime in on this as well. I'm a dual user, ie; Apple/Microsoft products. On one of the recent upgrades to Windows 10/11 products SMB1 options were turned off. I was able to regain access by going into the Ethernet settings and turning it back on. I was able to map the drives as soon as I did that. I also lost access from my iOS devices when I upgraded to iOS 17. I don't have even close to the capability of changing SMB type services on iOS devices however it had been mentioned, older NAS devices like mine that used SMB1 had a bit of a security hole and is likely why we're all suddenly not able to access our NAS devices. If your have newer NAS devices the problem could be something else but mine is about 10 years old so makes sense after running into the same problem for my windows 10 machine. I don't know if the security issue around SMB1 can be fixed as it is quite an old version. If your device is able to have a firmware upgrade that might do the trick. I however can't so looks like I'll be getting something a little more up to date. Cheers

Jan 3, 2024 12:49 PM in response to DrQuagmire

Yes, it works! I changed the minimum level of the SMB protocol to SMB1, and suppressed some security warnings on my Synology NAS, then the iPad connected smoothly for sharing. iPad 7gen, iPadOS 17.2.

I tested with iPadOS 16, that can connected with SMB2 protocol. So, it's seems to be the Apple downgraded the SMB protocol to an old unsupported protocol.

Dec 25, 2023 12:43 AM in response to Howzatt

I made some tests with my iPadOS 17.2, iPad 7th gen.

Try to connect Windows 10 share:

• off-course cannot connect. It seems to be the logon is successful, and after immediately logoff. Attached the Events log screenshot (in Hungarian Windows, but the details in English):

Then I try to connect my Synology NAS DS-215+

The result is same, success authentication and after immediately logoff.

Linked the log file (my NAS name NAS215, my user name is UserName, iPad IP: 192.168.1.70, NAS IP: 192.168.1.66 in the log file):

NAS samba log file

I don't have any idea, how to connect to my shared network folders with the iPad. Maybe I need to be replace for a Samsung Tab S9.

Can’t Connect to SMB share from iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.