iOS 17 Default Contact Screen Difficult to Read

Latest update to iOS 17 put a big gray poster background with white font on each of my contacts. Unless they used a custom photo, it is nearly impossible to read.

For clarification, I’m an older adult and my eyes aren’t what they used to be so most of my settings are set to a black background with a gray font.

Has anyone figured out how to change that gray poster box without having to do it on each contact one at a time?

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 12:54 AM

This would indeed be very very helpful.

In addition to that request it would be nice to have a setting that disables the new default contact ID view that takes a lot of screen space just for style.

I would really prefer the old style where you don‘t have to scroll so much to see all essential contact information on one screen… I use this for business and I think a lot of us would like to have this setting to make it more convenient and practical again.

177 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2023 12:54 AM in response to Community User

This would indeed be very very helpful.

In addition to that request it would be nice to have a setting that disables the new default contact ID view that takes a lot of screen space just for style.

I would really prefer the old style where you don‘t have to scroll so much to see all essential contact information on one screen… I use this for business and I think a lot of us would like to have this setting to make it more convenient and practical again.

Nov 20, 2023 2:35 AM in response to Community User

Like everyone else I find this apple update bordering on insane. Do I want a grey background on my contacts ? No I don’t. I am 75 and struggling to read the screen. What is the point of this? Apple please answer this question. Just revert to the screen we had previously. In the words of many others “If it’s not broke don’t fix it”.

Nov 1, 2023 11:38 AM in response to Community User

What were they thinking! The new contact display is both jarring and difficult to read. The choice of font size and brightness/contrast of different elements is terrible. I don't have pictures for most of my contacts, and probably never will, and yet this display design seems to assume that is the normal usage.

My eyes are perfectly fine, so that's not the issue.

Nov 21, 2023 10:17 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I did tell Apple too, for what it's worth (probably nothing). I find it odd that you prefer a design which requires an extra step (scroll down) to access the telephone number, which is the primary purpose of Contacts. If photos are the primary purpose of the Contacts app, then forgive me, I've been using the apps the wrong way around, and maybe I need to start looking in Photos for telephone numbers?? Illogical at best. Terrible design at worst.

Nov 11, 2023 7:32 PM in response to Community User

I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max when the new update of the 17 came up what the heck were they thinking the contacts phone contacts all of my contacts had photos with their name and number and then when you called them or they called you their picture would be full on my screen Well they screwed it up. If it’s not broke, don’t fix it. They’ve covered up the picture with a gray color then when you go to your contacts to call someone, they have a little round picture of them and some of the colors are gray black green brown what the This is crazy they say do a photo or a poster. I had photos with every contact person on my phone I do not like this everyone else didn’t like it and some people said they didn’t want to take hundreds of contacts and change it one by one it needs to go back the way it was this is a real mess. I don’t like it and a lot of other people don’t like it. I like to look at my family my friends , you can keep your gray off of their picture and also on the contact all of these many colors when you go to their name to call them it’s green it’s brown it’s black it’s gray with a little photo there and their name and their number please put it back like it was. I am sick and tired of updates and they are changing stuff I would like to see you people to put it back the way it was and so many other hundreds of people that don’t like it either. Please change it back and if some people like to change, let them have the option to change it to the new look or leave it alone like it is we like it the old way it was this gray covering up the person body on the phone you can’t see them cause it’s smoky grayed out give people a choice leave it like it is or go to the new look.

Nov 21, 2023 7:09 AM in response to Dostoyevsky2001

Dostoyevsky2001 wrote:

The design is an absolute mess. No-one uses photos for contacts (except maybe for your wife/gf/bf etc.)
The number, which is the key reason for going into contacts, I now need to scroll down on my phone because 3/4 of the screen is taking up by this giant useless photo thing at the top. Crazy design idea. And not conducive to quick use of contacts as now have to scroll down (just checked my other older iPhone, and the number was instantly available). How can you re-design something, presumably test it, and actually make the functionality 100% worse. Very very odd

Tell Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

Dec 3, 2023 4:18 PM in response to Txlinx

I am amazed at the product manager that allowed this. Using half the screen for nothing and then adding a poster or picture edit bar to waste more space when that could have been in an edit menu. Its unbelievable and so "unApple".

That being said, I was able to go from the first below to the second. It is NOT easy and takes me 5-7 minutes per contact. I did all ma "A".'s this afternoon after updating last night.

If I can do this, Apple can automate this in a similar way as an option. I can live with this if forced to.

I may not do any more hoping for enough outrage to get a quick fix.

iOS 17 Default Contact Screen Difficult to Read

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.