How do I pass through the audio bitstream to my receiver

I have a high-end AV receiver (Denon 8500HA) and have noticed that the Atmos or 5.1 surround sound from the apps in my Sony TV via eARC is noticeably better than from the Apple TV connected directly to the receiver via HDMI.

I think with the receiver decoding the signal, it can do a better job applying room correction. The bass is deeper and tighter, has more “slam” and the dialog is clearer.

is it possible to get the AppleTV to pass the raw bitstream to the receiver and let it do the decoding? I see “multi-channel in” a lot with movies and if I pause and switch to the same app on the Sony TV, the sound is instantly better.

is there an option or override or is this coming in IOS 17?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 7:33 PM

No, there is no option present or coming for what you want to do. People have asked for years to let the PCM passthrough the Apple TV so their receivers can decode it instead of the Apple TV. So far no acknowledgment or response from Apple at all.

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 10, 2024 12:33 PM in response to ZimFromIRK

From months of reading since I switched over to the latest AppleTV 4K, I have figured out that Apple has, for some reason, decided to have tvOS convert all the soundtracks to multichannel linear PCM. There is no sound quality loss converting from TrueHD/ATMOS or DTSHD-MA over to PCM, however, things like the LFE level balance, spacial audio from ATMOS, and other factors are not always translated.

The end effect is a less theatrical experience. This is a shame because otherwise, the ATV 4K does a fantastic job with its implementation of Dolby Vision and proper frame rate matching to the original source.

Please Apple, implement a simple Bitstream option for those who would like to get the full experience with their high end theater receivers! This should be an easy thing to implement. I've been doing it with other hardware for 10+ years and it is usually flawless. In fact, it reduces the processing overhead during playback.

I cannot see why Apple refuses to offer this option. If they did, the Apple TV 4k might be the top choice among home theater enthusiasts instead of other clunkier products like the Nvidia Shield.

Apr 10, 2024 3:44 PM in response to lkrupp

@Ikrupp,

Yes, I understand that. I did submit the feature request through the feedback as well.

Hopefully, by bringing this issue back in focus, some of the other people who read this and agree it is a needed function will also submit a feature request for Bitstreaming.

For those that do request the feature, use the correct terminology. We want raw bitstreaming from the original source, not decoding. We want tvOS to send the raw bitstream instead of converting it to multichannel linear PCM. Converting to LPCM uses greater bandwitdth on the HDMI cable and adds unneeded processing to the Apple TV 4k. As others have pointed out, it often doesn't sound as good as what the receiver would decode from the bitstream.

How do I pass through the audio bitstream to my receiver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.