Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil small keyboard

I recently got an Apple Pencil Gen 2. I keep getting a small keyboard. It does not expand with the 2 finger movement. I have turned the iPad on and off and nothing fixes the issue. I read if "Scribble" is off then the keyboard stays large, but I do like the write and type. Is there a way to use the large keyboard and the pencil?

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2023 12:54 AM

Even if I put the pencil back the keyboard size is out of control

5 replies

Sep 20, 2023 9:20 AM in response to hannahfromharleysville

Have you enabled the Scribble feature? This feature uses a different mini-keyboard that does not respond to the two-finger zoom or pinch gestures.

Settings > Apple Pencil > Scribble - set to OFF

After disabling* Scribble, you may need to force-restart your iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

(*) If Scribble is currently disabled in iPad settings, set to ON - then close the settings App and perform a forced restart. After restarting, again set to OFF and again perform a restart.

Otherwise, to restore the new Floating Keyboard to the normal on-screen keyboard presentation, use the two-finger “zoom” gesture (i.e., the reverse of the two-finger “pinch”).

If the Split Keyboard is restored instead of the full on-screen keyboard, you can either use two fingers (one on each of the two half-keyboards) and swipe the two halves together - or touch-and-hold the “keyboard” key, then slide your finger to the Merge & Dock option and release.

Use the floating keyboard on your iPad – Apple Support

Split and move the keyboard on your iPad – Apple Support

Apple Pencil small keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.