Protecting passwords before sending it in for reapairs

How do I know my information will be safe bank accounts when I send in my ipad

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 10:29 AM

Before sending your iPad for repair, you should prepare it properly:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service - Apple Support

Be assured that nobody can gain access to your iPad without successfully entering the correct device Passcode. iOS/iPadOS is architecturally designed to protect the owners data. 

All locally stored data is encrypted; by design, the only copy of the encryption keys necessary to access local data are held within the Secure Enclave - the device security chip. The device Passcode unlocks the Secure Enclave, which in turn releases the encryption keys to the Operating System while the device remains unlocked. Even if you don't (or can't) properly erase the iPad, unless the iPad is fully functional and the Passcode is known, your data cannot be accessed.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2023 10:29 AM in response to Taar1213

Before sending your iPad for repair, you should prepare it properly:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service - Apple Support

Be assured that nobody can gain access to your iPad without successfully entering the correct device Passcode. iOS/iPadOS is architecturally designed to protect the owners data. 

All locally stored data is encrypted; by design, the only copy of the encryption keys necessary to access local data are held within the Secure Enclave - the device security chip. The device Passcode unlocks the Secure Enclave, which in turn releases the encryption keys to the Operating System while the device remains unlocked. Even if you don't (or can't) properly erase the iPad, unless the iPad is fully functional and the Passcode is known, your data cannot be accessed.

Protecting passwords before sending it in for reapairs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.