iPhone Calendar Alerts / Apple Watch Conflict

Be advised, if you use an iPhone and are wearing an Apple Watch your Calendar event notifications WILL NOT sound on your iPhone. You'll get an alert about Mindfulness and you'll get a weak "bong" on the watch for the event but not your iPhone event alerts. (Who at Apple made that choice? Try, as I had to do, explain to a judge why you missed an event.) A work around is to go to iPhone Apple Watch app > Passcode > Wrist Detection and turn it off. Of course, you'll lose watch capabilities doing this, including the watch log in to your desktop computer, which I found convenient. I've been on Level 2 tech support three times today and that is their solution!? Don't waste your time in Focus. I had hoped the installation of iOS 17 and watch OS 10 would finally solve this problem. And it won't be any different when I receive my iPhone 15 in two day.

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 12:04 PM

Yes, that's the way it has worked since the Watch was released.

iPhone unlocked/watch unlocked - notifications sound on iPhone

iPhone locked/watch unlocked - notifications sound on watch

iPhone locked/watch locked - notifications sound on iPhone.

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

You can let Apple know you'd like to see something different here:

Product Feedback - Apple

However, after all these years, they seem pretty set on this course of action.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2023 12:04 PM in response to jfort

Yes, that's the way it has worked since the Watch was released.

iPhone unlocked/watch unlocked - notifications sound on iPhone

iPhone locked/watch unlocked - notifications sound on watch

iPhone locked/watch locked - notifications sound on iPhone.

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

You can let Apple know you'd like to see something different here:

Product Feedback - Apple

However, after all these years, they seem pretty set on this course of action.

Mar 28, 2024 12:10 PM in response to Horst39

Horst39 wrote:

Apple's idea may be acceptable, but the problem is that the vibration/sound of the iWatch is rather weak and in certain conditions (running or involved in an important conversation) may not be noticed.

Again, I'm not interested in debating whether or not this is good or in passing any judgment on people's reasons for wanting something different.

You should let Apple know how you feel here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Meanwhile, make sure, in the Watch app, under Sound & Haptics, that you have "Prominent" checked.

Sep 20, 2023 12:27 PM in response to jfort

I was not commenting on whether or not it was "right or sensible". Though, based on Apple's original vision, it's logical. Apple sees the watch as a way to allow you to get notifications in a more discreet way. You're not required to agree that this is good. But, it is the way it is. Your choices right now are to turn off Wrist Detection, as you've done, thus significantly reducing the usability of the Watch, or stop using the Watch. There's nothing anyone can do to change that.

Submit your feedback to Apple.

Mar 29, 2024 12:49 PM in response to jfort

just discovered this today after reading a lot of Apple support articles on how to fix the calendar alert sounds on the IPhone itself. Not a single one of them highlighted the impact of having an I-watch connected by Bluetooth. As soon as I turned off Bluetooth my calendar alert sounds were back. So now it seems I have to make a decision, continue using my watch via Bluetooth and give up calendar alert sounds or stop using my watch via Bluetooth and no longer miss important calendar alerts and the events themselves. Again, WtF was Apple thinking when they developed the watch here??

iPhone Calendar Alerts / Apple Watch Conflict

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.