iphone apple tv remote not working after update

my Apple TV 4K (2022) remote firmware is not updating no matter what I do. That means that I cannot use the remote app on my iPhone (which is also updated to ios17). I can’t use the Find My feature or even access my Apple TV in the remote app. It can’t find my Apple TV. The Apple TV is wired and on the same network as my phone and worked fine before the update. They really need to add an option to force the update to the remote (and AirPods!) The remote is 97% charged, the Apple TV is on, and the remote has been next to and on top of the Apple TV, even overnight, but it hasn’t updated.

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 5:52 PM

Another one affected here. App remote not working on iPhone, iPad or iWatch after updating to 17, neither after updating to 17.0.1. Apple TV 4K updated to iOS 17 too. Please Apple fix this…

11 replies

Sep 20, 2023 6:49 PM in response to RammsteinLuvr

Me too. Updated ATV 4K 1st Gen, iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch to new Ones on Monday 9-18-23 and all worked fine for the first 24 hours. Then the ATV remote started going haywire (the new style aluminum remote, I bought a replacement about a year ago). This happened on both the physical remote and the software remotes on both my and my husbands iPhones (also updated to the latest version of iOS). The back button works but the d-pads don't work at all. Picking home makes the cursor zoom across or down a column or a row of icons.

Basically the ATV is uncontrollable now. I have managed to restart the ATV several times to no avail. Same with power cycling the physical remote (down vol and TV buttons held till lights blink on ATV) as well as repairing it with the ASTV (volume up + back button held town till ATV lights flash). The remote has 79% power but I tried plugging it into lightning for charging, agains to no avail.

I really don't want to reset the whole thing because that means hours of downloading all my apps and reentering credentials. But I don't know what else to do now.

Sep 22, 2023 7:25 PM in response to ggarness

Solved my issue. After resetting the ATV 4K to factory settings the aluminum Siri Remote no longer worked at all. It would not power cycled or re-pair with the apple TV at all. I was resigned to buying a new remote. In a last ditch attemnpt I did a search on YouTune and saw something about unplugging the ATV from power cable, waiting 10 seconds and replugging in then re-pairing the remote. This worked and all is normal now.

Oct 20, 2023 6:54 AM in response to RammsteinLuvr

have 5 apple TV's and had this issue where only a wired Apple TV would show the remote on my phone. Previously had visibility to all 5 in remote app with no issue.

I have a Unifi Dream machine and wired access points. I had previously turned on "multicasting" to improve playing across numerous HomePods and apple TV's. I turned this off, restarted the router and voila, I can see all 5 remotes on my phone. Not sure if it has impacted playing across the house but at least fixed the issue at hand here!

Oct 25, 2023 11:47 AM in response to RammsteinLuvr

The issue persists and Apple should fix this immediately. And it's not just the remote app that's having issues on/off ethernet, even my (physical) remote is useless now. Only the Home button and the volume work (for me), but NOT the touch surface or the back button. The problem started with TVOS 17 update. And Apple needs to stop suggesting turning the Apple TV on/off, removing the user, or any other hack that works for general issues with the AppleTV remote. We have tried everything and it still doesn't work.

Nov 4, 2023 11:35 AM in response to RammsteinLuvr

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm getting sick and tired of apple releasing new updates for stuff that absolutely crashes their products. Their home pod mini's are still a nightmare to set up and use with an apple TV and the issue still isn't fixed after well over 2 years.

Just like all of you, my apple tv4k is now useless until they come up with a fix.

iphone apple tv remote not working after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.