Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

If I join family sharing will I lose playlists on Apple Music?

My family is staring the process of having a Family Sharing plan, but I already have 100s of playlists on my Apple Music and am afraid I will lose all of those if I join the Family Sharing. Is that true? Or will I get to keep all of my playlists? Thanks!

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 2:01 PM

You should not lose anything if the transition is done correctly.

Do not cancel your own subscription manually. Join the new Family sharing plan, and it should automatically migrate to it preserving all your playlists.

3 replies

Mar 30, 2024 6:22 AM in response to JazeUSA

JazeUSA wrote:

This is not correct… it will not allow you to join a family plan while having a current subscription. You have to cancel the single subscription first to be able to join the family plan… and yes you lose everything, ask me how I know 😢

This is entirely false. Nothing stops you from joining a Family Plan if you already have a subscription.

When you join a Family Sharing group, your individual subscription is cancelled automatically.

click here ➜ Get an Apple Music family subscription - Apple Support

If someone in the family group already has an individual or student
subscription to Apple Music, renewal of that subscription is
automatically canceled when they join the family group.

If you lost anything, you did it wrong. The transfer is done automatically.

If I join family sharing will I lose playlists on Apple Music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.