Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone call history shared between devices after iOS 17 Update

on my primary device I have iCloud -> contacts turned off, also handoff is turned off on both devices.

Before iOS 17.0, each of my 2 devices has its private call log & contacts.

After iOS 17.0 on both devices, I started to see the call history of both devices on my primary device.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 4:37 PM

Since the update, I have attempted all the techniques to stop the call log from my husband's phone appearing on my phone. It is very annoying not to be able to look at your previous calls to determine who called you instantly without questioning whether the number called you or your husband. I hope that Apple listens and is able to correct whatever was turned on or at least allow us to disable call logs from other devices.

609 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2023 4:37 PM in response to AlFrued

Since the update, I have attempted all the techniques to stop the call log from my husband's phone appearing on my phone. It is very annoying not to be able to look at your previous calls to determine who called you instantly without questioning whether the number called you or your husband. I hope that Apple listens and is able to correct whatever was turned on or at least allow us to disable call logs from other devices.

Dec 16, 2023 12:16 PM in response to AlFrued

I am on the phone right now with a Senior Advisor in Apple and she says this is a known problem, that you are definitely supposed to be able to keep call history separate between two phones. Engineers are working on it and she's going to keep me in the loop with updates until it is resolved.

So, please stop saying it's working the way it is supposed to because it is not.

She said, in no uncertain terms, that you can use the same Apple ID on 2 phones- each with a different phone number- and have call histories be kept separate.

Sep 23, 2023 6:42 PM in response to AlFrued

Agreed! For 4+ years I've had two phones, 1 work and 1 personal. I used the same AppleID for one reason and one reason only. It allowed me to leave my work phone at home on the weekend and still get and respond imessages/texts from customers on my personal phone, while at the same time, keeping personal messages off my work phone. The work phone was set up to receive and reply from my work number only, and my personal phone was set up to receive messages from my work phone and my personal phone. It was completely transparent and the customer was none the wiser. Everything else was separate. If I wanted them mixed together I would have enabled "allow calls on nearby devices"! This was the perfect combination of staying reachable and keeping business and pleasure separate.

Yesterday morning I woke up to my personal phone's recent call list completely filled with numbers I didn't recognize, and my voicemail completely full of messages from customers.

So now the real problem, is that I get back to my car following a meeting and there is a missed call on both phones that I don't recognize. Was it a customer calling my work phone, or someone calling my personal phone? What phone do I call back on? I can't clean up the voicemails on either phone because it deletes them from the other phone as well. And yes, it is important that I have two phones.

I spoke to support and the first guy said that's how its always been. Then he put me onto someone else who said that it was a recent change and it was operating as intended. Being able to keep everything separate but still being able to get texts on both phones was the ONLY reason I bought a second iphone rather than an android. This is the ultimate example of a walled garden. How hard would it be to make this an opt in feature?? I can't even think of a scenario where someone would want everything getting mixed together into a single steaming pile, and not already have "allow calls on nearby devices" turned on.

Support explained that all calls are now being routed through icloud which is why it was being combined. So I asked if my health, photo's etc are also being shared between the two phones. She said no, because clearly I had sharing those to the cloud turned off. I explained that I also had phone sync turned off, but that was still being shared, and she said that was because it was going through the cloud. We went around in circles. I'm furious.

Sep 26, 2023 1:50 PM in response to AlFrued

I find many of the answers on this thread annoying.  Most are saying "don't share your apple ID", with yourself, your kids, your spouse.  Wonder why Apple has Family Sharing?  I have 2 phones.  One is for work, one personal.  I SHARE with myself so I don't have to buy apps that I use differently depending the phone (work or home stuff).  I share my music so my son (who can't use a phone due to handicaps) can listen to the same music so I don't have to buy it twice.  And I use it for Find My as I do misplace one or both phones occasionally. 

Prior to iOS17, turning off iCloud completely fixed the issue.  This is not an iCloud or Facetime (something

I have turned off) issue.  It is a forced change in iOS17. 

I suspect (can't prove) that Apple turned airplay back on (if you had it off as I did) to accommodate the new handoff feature.  I updated both phones and made zero changes.  Spotted the calls being shared between the phones.  Looking through settings found the airplay turned on.  I suspect this is what caused the issue and until people who actually have 2 phones (and are NOT sharing their ID "with others") complain, they will realize they stepped on something.

I know this is a place to look for help - which is why I came to this thread - HOPING someone had found a solution.  I am just amazed at the number of people who offer an opinion about something they aren't even participating in to understand WHY IDs are shared - legitimately.  The assumption is we are idiots for doing so!!!

Unfortunately, no solutions here - yes, I have already sent my feedback to Apple.

Sep 20, 2023 4:17 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I carry 2 iPhones with the same Apple id since ages, and I don’t want to get confused by which phone initiated personal or business calls.

Its unreasonable to maintain more than one Apple ID after all of this years.

I already reported a bug to Apple. And I came here to see if anyone else noticed/fixed this.

also, what is the meaning of new “phone” toggle in iCloud, I didn’t find any reference for that new toggle.

Jan 6, 2024 3:32 PM in response to bgddo

I spoke to a senior Apple adviser on Thursday. He told me he had checked with his engineer colleagues who told him the syncing of recent call logs and voice mails between 2 phones with the same Apple ID should stop if:

the users turn off BOTH the iCloud Phone slider AND the iCloud FaceTime slider on Both iPhones.

The adviser asked me to try doing this which I did immediately after our call. He said he would call me back this coming Monday afternoon to see if these actions work as intended.

The result:

1. Voice mail no longer syncs. Yay.
  2. Recent calls still sync. Yuck.

Hence, there is a bug and I will provide the Apple senior adviser with any requested logs to help him give his engineer colleagues the information they will need to fix the bug.

Dec 16, 2023 12:42 PM in response to wholeinsights

I also have a ticket with Apple Senior folks that has been submitted to engineering. The bug is that the phone toggle for iCloud is NOT working. If and when this is fixed ( I was told it may be a few weeks) then phone logs should not be duplicated. I agree that apple wants us to all have separate ids but this is not the issue. The iCloud phone toggle not working is the issue.

Sep 21, 2023 12:25 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hello Idris, I strongly disagree, assuming that Apple intention is to force a user to maintain different Apple accounts to use different iPhones is defying the purpose of iCloud & the entire eco system.

In my case, if I knew I have to create a different Apple ID for each of my phones with a different cellular number, I’ll not bother buying a second iPhone.

I’d say, it is a new bug, or a poor decision been made without a proper design.

Sep 25, 2023 10:25 PM in response to AlFrued

Hello guys.

me too I have been trying to connect Apple since ios 14 to add toggle to stop call log from syncing between devices. They have to put that an option to close it. I dont want to see same log on both phones. 1 is for work 1 is for personal use. I am using one appleID I dont want to use separate appleID. Everything is perfect except this log synchronization.

I used to stop icloud drive on ios16 on one of my devices and was good until ios17 came.

its a big issue to many people.

Sep 24, 2023 10:21 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Spoke too soon. Its a longer delay on the sync, a work call I made at 8:18am showed up on my personal phone after my last post. This is big pain in The butt.

Wrong, we now see call logs on two separate phone lines. Before we could not, I have had my phones setup like this for about 10 years.

It seems there are very few commenting on here that actually find this a major inconvenience and are not interested in helping with advice.

Do you even have two phones? I find it interesting the comments on here saying deal with it etc. Yep I will deal with it if this is what happens going forward. I will be getting an android next year when my replacement is due.

Sep 23, 2023 10:36 AM in response to KiltedTim

You seem to be close minded, yes there is something to correct. This problem only came about with IOS 17.

I do not own this company phone, why would I make a new ID to manage when this was not a issue before. Its in the settings, what content is shared and what calls are received.

I have not had this issue in the 10 years I have had a company Iphone, and a separate personal phone up until this last update. I do not receive shared messages on both devices, I have it shut off. Why would I want my call logs synchronized.

in your wisdom I should just log out of my profile on my company phone than., I am not making another account thats tied to my personal email. Company emails CANNOT be used to make apple ID’s. So now that you are educated on the issue, I guess next year I will not be looking to get another company Iphone if this is the new normal.

iPhone call history shared between devices after iOS 17 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.