I want to turn off 2 Factor Authentication on my iMac

I inadvertently agreed to 2 factor authentication because I could not continue if I hadn't. There was no option posted to turn it off within 2 weeks. I missed my opportunity to turn it off. I don't need 2 factor.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 7:07 PM

You hit the nail on the head with “there’s no going back.”

One key point to understand is that to the criminals, the real value is not so much the info IN your account (although it can provide a nice “bonus”) …

… but rather the value is in having control OF the account, so that it can be used for nefarious purposes.

Re: “ … I just want to be able … to use the devices the way that I’m used to … “

I think you’ll find that 2FA will not change the way you normally use your hardware one iota.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2023 7:07 PM in response to 11Summer21

You hit the nail on the head with “there’s no going back.”

One key point to understand is that to the criminals, the real value is not so much the info IN your account (although it can provide a nice “bonus”) …

… but rather the value is in having control OF the account, so that it can be used for nefarious purposes.

Re: “ … I just want to be able … to use the devices the way that I’m used to … “

I think you’ll find that 2FA will not change the way you normally use your hardware one iota.

Sep 20, 2023 5:38 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad wrote:

Maybe this article will help: How to Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication for Apple ID

That article is dated August 17, 2016.

By September 1, 2018, there was an Apple Discussions thread about how it was no longer possible to turn two-factor authentication off. An "Apple Recommended" reply with that date quoted an Apple Support document to that effect.

No option to turn off two factor authenti… - Apple Community

It looks like in August 2016, you could turn it off at will … but by September 2018, something had changed. I have not pinpointed the exact date within that period when things changed, but as far as the OP goes, it doesn't matter. The change is in effect now.

Sep 20, 2023 6:40 PM in response to 11Summer21

Here’s “The Rest of the Story” (As you too are mature enough to remember Paul Harvey)

Once a device has been signed-in to your AppleID using 2FA it’s a Trusted Device.

Any Trusted Device can easily and simply provide you with the 6-digit 2FA code you might need in the future. (even without internet connectivity)

The problem often occurs with users who only have ONE device (usually an iPhone).

When they loose access this single “Trusted Device” they panic and “THINK” that have no way to receive their 2FA code.

Not true !!!

If you have no physical access to any of your Trusted Devices, you can STILL have Apple send the codes - by SMS or VOICE - to virtually ANY phone number worldwide.

Although these “Trusted Numbers” MUST be pre-designated. (i.e. forethought is required)

With the code received in this manner, you can regain access to your account and/or setup a replacement phone.

Individuals who don’t setup Trusted Numbers are in much the same category as those who don’t backup their phones. (After all, who could ever conceive that a small portable electronic gadget might become lost, broken, or stolen)

With all that as a primer, these two IMPORTANT articles may make more sense:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

Sep 20, 2023 5:59 PM in response to Old Toad

I could never set that up. Nothing should be that complicated for a product that “just works”. Look, I’m 84 years old, bought my first computer, an iMac with the articulated arm, it was perfect. I have an administrator password, an Apple ID, and a 4 digit code just to use MY 27” 2017 iMac, a 9th generation iPad, and a 2013 iPhone. These devices very seldom leave our residence. I don’t need any more “security”, if these three can’t handle my pathetic information, then so be it. I want to decide how many levels of “security” I have to wade through to before I can send an email, a Message, write a letter, make a purchase, or read about the fall of Democracy in the United States.

Sep 20, 2023 6:01 PM in response to Old Toad

Re: “… I have 2-factor authentication set to text my iPhone …”

This sounds more like you perhaps still have the older 2-Step Verification (2SV) which uses SMS …

… vice 2-Factor Authentication (2FA) ???

If you were using 2FA - which doesn’t “primarily” send via SMS - the “verification Pop-Up” would appear on all of your Trusted Devices simultaneously; no forwarding necessary.

Sep 20, 2023 6:00 PM in response to Old Toad

I could never set that up. Nothing should be that complicated for a product that “just works”. Look, I’m 84 years old, bought my first computer, an iMac with the articulated arm, it was perfect. I have an administrator password, an Apple ID, and a 4 digit code just to use MY 27” 2017 iMac, a 9th generation iPad, and a 2013 iPhone. These devices very seldom leave our residence. I don’t need any more “security”, if these three can’t handle my pathetic information, then so be it. I want to decide how many levels of “security” I have to wade through to before I can send an email, a Message, write a letter, make a purchase, or read about the fall of Democracy in the United States.

Sep 20, 2023 6:10 PM in response to 11Summer21

I think you are envisioning problems which don’t exist.

You only normally use 2FA ONCE when setting-up a brand new device.

Once it’s setup, you simply turn on the device, enter your passcode (password on a Mac) and voila! you’re “connected” … just like all computers have done for decades.

2FA protects your AppleID from “outsiders” … you don’t use it to access your own devices.

Sep 20, 2023 6:48 PM in response to Chattanoogan

I realize members do their best to help untechnical users who entered the computer world when things were much simpler. Some of us elders, I know others besides myself, we were doing fine 20 years ago but cannot process many of the latest innovations. There is no going back. On the other hand, over those 20 years many dependencies on the computer have been made. I just want to be able to take my chances and be able to use the devices the way that I’m used to.

Sep 21, 2023 9:29 AM in response to ku4hx

Yes, there are multiple Windows computers. But I have a lot invested in this platform. If you were 84 years old, retired for 22 years, with limited knowledge about computers and living on Social Security, and a small pension that never increases you wouldn't say that "there's nothing keeping you from obtaining a computer without it."

Thank you for your suggestion though, I've considered it many times.

I want to turn off 2 Factor Authentication on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.