Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No option to turn off two factor authentication

I want to shut off the two factor verification. I looked at the instructions online, and it says to got to appleid.apple.com, and then shut it off under the security section. However, when I try to edit that section, I have no link to shut it off. How do I shut off the two factor verification when it's not given to me as an option?User uploaded file

Posted on Sep 1, 2018 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2018 10:09 PM

As Apple customers we should have the right to decide if we want to continue two part security thing or not. This is a bunch of crap. I'm grown I can decide for myself what is secure enough and what isn't

53 replies

Sep 1, 2018 6:19 PM in response to kelfromnyc7

The instructions you saw may not have been current. See the following from Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

If you already use two-factor authentication, you can no longer turn it off. Certain features in the latest versions of iOS and macOS require this extra level of security, which is designed to protect your information. If you recently updated your account, however, you can unenroll for a period of two weeks. Just open your enrollment confirmation email and click the link to return to your previous security settings. Keep in mind, this makes your account less secure and means that you can't use features that require a higher level of security.

Nov 18, 2018 5:44 PM in response to Jzdefine

You have to enter you username and password TWICE in Apple TV in order for two factor authentication to work. AND you have to do it within one minute. Impossible with my current password. I can't do it no matter how many times I try. I'm furious with Apple for their lame idea to take away the ability to turn off two factor authentication.

Dec 12, 2018 2:56 PM in response to kelfromnyc7

Unbelievable. Apple is the least user friendy experience I've ever had. You don't update your configurator apps for windows, force people to use your inferior OS just to setup a **** iPad and now I can't even turn off 2fa so I don't have to confirm 10 ipads every time I try to set them up.

Say what you want about Microsoft, their devices work without bending over and taking it up the ***.

Dec 9, 2018 10:29 PM in response to kelfromnyc7

I, too made the mistake of activating two factor authentication. Now EVERY TIME I go to anything that uses Apple ID, there is the prompt for the 6-digit code. Why should I have to input the code repeatedly on trusted devices; on websites I use regularly; and despite accepting and retaining cookies? I would never have enrolled for this irritating thing had the opt-out option not been there, so I feel that it is sneaky of Apple to have now removed the option. Let me decide if I am OK with my account being less secure or I if can't use the (undisclosed) "features that require a higher level of security".

Nov 21, 2018 5:00 AM in response to RJinjoe

There is a way to log into Apple TV. I started a new post to fully explain. I'll copy and paste the resolution here. Once two factor authentication is turned on it's permanent. You can't turn it off. To resolve the Apple TV and two factor authentication problem follow this:

The solution that should work for you is something which Apple refers to as 'decorated passwords'.

I found an obscure reference to this in another forum and felt it should be mentioned again for those of us still struggling with forced two factor authentication by Apple.

Enter your password for the first time in Apple TV. This will send the signal to your other Apple device to allow log in and generate the code.

You will then enter the code into Apple TV, which forces you back to log in with Apple ID and password AGAIN. The 2nd time you enter the password, enter the password along with the 6 digit authentication code like this:

If the code you got was "111 111" after the first round, and your password is "password", the second time you enter "password111111" in the password field after you enter your apple username.

The above instructions worked perfectly on the first try. I called Apple support and they confirmed that decorated passwords are the only work around for two factor authentication on older Apple TV products.

Jan 23, 2019 8:02 PM in response to A1StkSce

What happens in a situation where I need to find my phone, but can't login to iCloud on a browser because it requires my phone for two-factor? When I've had two-factor remember my browser, it's forgotten the browser after a certain period of time. This is a serious flaw in thinking.

You can access Find My iPhone without the 2FA code.

Why do you only have one trusted device or number? That's a bad idea. See this article for information on how to set up other phone numbers as trusted numbers:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

May 31, 2019 7:41 AM in response to Jmyttri

Jmyttri wrote:

I'm so irritated. My macbook was stolen and I use android for phone and tablet and I can't get my iCloud email because I can't turn on 2fa with my non iOS devices. This is ridiculous and will guarantee I apple loses a loyal 20 year customer. I should be able to set up my iCloud email on any device and change settings from any connected device.

So, I guess that means you didn't set up your Android phone as a trusted number? Or set up some other number (landline, spouse's phone) as a trusted number? You'll need to request account recovery:

Recover your Apple ID when you can’t reset your password - Apple Support

And, once you've done that, be sure to set up some trusted numbers.

Dec 11, 2018 4:10 AM in response to kelfromnyc7

What is going on???????????????????

I cant believe your locking me "again" into an unproven technology. Can't turn off two factor authentication!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that's the last straw, i've been using macs for thirty years and have 10 mac systems and have had enough of forced upgrades. I accepted the two factor authentication and now my primary work laptop cant even be updated because it wont allow me to put in the code that's sent to my device. worse yet since i can't log into my apple account i cant upgrade my system or safari and "you guys" for some assanine reason don't provide a place to download an update to safari. it's free i shouldn't have to use my apple id to get a critical piece of software. maybe/probably because i'm using the original operating system that came with it (10.9.5). You know why i'm still using that system? because i've learned something over the last three decades......don't upgrade your mac unless you like it to be slower, stick with the system that came with the computer as long as you possibly can or do a clean install. that's a known fact!!!!..... 2. never- ever migrate your old mac to your new one unless, again you would like to slow down your new computer by carrying over the blote. Seems like the people that run the company aren't communicating with or connecting to the rest of us, it saddens me that you don't have the foresight to anticipate the need to update safari from an alternate source, IT'S NEVER GOOD BUSINESS TO HAVE ONLY ONE SOURCE. I would update to Mojave but i want to use photoshop more than the update and since my laptops Gpu will be broken in photoshop by Mojave No Metal support (case in point) Sorry to say guys, I'm selling my stock. :-(

No option to turn off two factor authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.