Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

SIM Card Failure after iOS 17 Update

Post updating iPhone 13 to iOS 17, its giving me a sim card failure issue, I have tried force restart, airplane mode, re-inserting the sim but the issue doesn't get resolved. My sim is a 4G sim. Any suggestion please

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 10:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2023 12:39 AM

My iPhone 13 updated to iOS 17.2, its giving me a sim card failure issue, I have tried force restart, airplane mode, re-inserting the sim but the issue doesn't get resolved. My sim is a 4G sim. Any suggestion please

65 replies

Dec 23, 2023 11:06 PM in response to lokesh_kumar

I had the same issue when updating my iPhone 13 to IOS 17.2.1. I had no 4G connection when it powered up. I tried taking the SIM out and putting it back in and turning Airplane mode off and on but neither resolved the issue. I had to switch my SIM to my work phone (android), let it power up but still it doesn’t work in it. Pls give any suggestions.

Dec 1, 2023 1:04 AM in response to lokesh_kumar

I had the same issue when updating my iPhone 13 to IOS 17.2.1. I had no 4G connection when it powered up. I tried taking the SIM out and putting it back in and turning Airplane mode off and on but neither resolved the issue. However, I did manage to fix it, but it requires having a second phone. I had to switch my SIM to my work phone (android), let it power up and it worked fine on that phone. I then put it back in my iPhone and all was working again. It was a bit frustrating and seems like a common issue with the update which Apple seem to have not considered.

Sep 21, 2023 9:10 PM in response to lokesh_kumar

I have faced exactly same issue. I had updated my iPhone 13 Pro Max to iOS 17 couple of days back, and then to security update version of 17.0.1 this morning. Ever since the upgrade, I am getting "SIM Failure" error prompt.

I have performed following troubleshooting, to no avail :

1. Toggling to Airplane mode
  2. Restart phone
  3. Reseat the SIM card tray after wiping SIM card with a clean cloth
  4. Reset Network settings

At last I attempted to try my SIM card in another phone, and the SIM is not being recognised on the other phone too. It seems the update somehow intrusively fiddled with the SIM card, as things were working smoothly before the update.

It is bizarre, as I had this SIM card on international roaming, and now I would need to wait to revisit my country whenever in future, before I can get a replacement SIM card from carrier.

Oct 30, 2023 10:39 AM in response to lokesh_kumar

I reset my network settings and then swapped SIM cards with a friend, whose phone was functioning correctly. I wanted to see if it was the phone or the SIM. The phone worked with my friends SIM, but my SIM didn’t work in hers. However, when I put my non-working SIM back in my phone, it started working again.. Not sure if it's repeatable, but worked for me.

Oct 6, 2023 7:17 PM in response to lokesh_kumar

i updated to ios 17.0.3 started getting notice sim card failure. i rebooted my iphone 13 pro and would work for a while until i get another sim card failure notice rendering my iphone 13 useless. i tried re inserting my sim card and was unable to get my iphone 13 pro up again at all. called verizon my service carrier and they gave me an esim and at first wasn’t working but after 2 hours on the phone was able to get my cell service up again . Had to use my same phone number as a secondary number as opposed to a primary number. Very frustrating but i think these updates are causing major problems and i am very leery of updating my phone again as this cost me two hours of time. This technology is to complicated even for the techs to know what are causing problems

Feb 13, 2024 4:25 AM in response to lokesh_kumar

I believe I have the same issue with my iPhone 13--unexplained No SIM issue, but in my case it happened after travelling with a different SIM, and then I swapped back to my home SIM. After running the latest update and trying all the other tricks (airplane mode toggle, reset network settings, remove and reinstall card, reboot...), I assumed that my carefully stored home SIM must be damaged, so went to carrier for replacement. Still no joy. Went to Apple Store. They worked on the phone for an hour, couldn't fix the issue. Because the back glass is broken from a fall over a year ago, they said that drop must be the problem and I need to pay $500 to replace the entire back panel (includes logic board). Now that I read this thread, I wonder if I should try eSIM solution. It would mean switching carriers for me. Super frustrating. My husband keeps bugging me to go back to Android. Maybe he's right.

SIM Card Failure after iOS 17 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.