Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Safari block pop up ads not working after iOS17

Before iOS17, I was using block pop up ads in Safari settings and it worked surprisingly well. But after the update, it doesn't seem to work anymore. Is there a fix to this?

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 11:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 8:37 PM

This is not a real response. They stated they have it on. It cant even block things opening up a new window anymore.

Because of your pointless response and lack of responsibility, the problem will not be shared with developers who want to know if something is wrong. Thats the whole point of having a human support team.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2023 8:37 PM in response to J_Johnnyboy

This is not a real response. They stated they have it on. It cant even block things opening up a new window anymore.

Because of your pointless response and lack of responsibility, the problem will not be shared with developers who want to know if something is wrong. Thats the whole point of having a human support team.

Dec 31, 2023 12:53 AM in response to HiddenAccName

I’m having the same problem, also have all of my setting correct, also only having this problem since the last update. Also everyone in my family having this same issue, since the update, despite settings. APPLE: FIX THIS. I literally have to turn my phone off, once the videos start popping up. The second I close out the video, another one pops up, before I can even close out the tab. Turning off my phone is the only thing that stops it.

Feb 19, 2024 7:24 PM in response to J_Johnnyboy

This is so frustrating After ALLOWING pop ups we still don't see popups since updating to Sonoma IOS 14.3.1 on my brand new MacBook. I need the pop up to login after VPN connection to work server. It worked prior to the Sonoma IOS update. I have tried setting the pop up to allow the wanted pop up. Still nothing. HELP !!! I can't work remote any longer.

Sep 25, 2023 4:49 PM in response to HiddenAccName

Hi HiddenAccName,

To block pop-up ads and windows in Safari, we recommend that you try the steps here: Block pop-up ads and windows in Safari - Apple Support

To perform the recommended troubleshooting steps via the link above, complete the steps in the section titled "Check Safari settings."

On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Safari.
* Turn on Block Pop-ups.
* Turn on Fraudulent Website Warning.

On your Mac, open Safari and choose Safari > Settings (or Preferences) from the menu bar.

* In the Websites tab, you can configure options to allow or block some or all pop-ups.
* In the Security tab, turn on the setting to warn when visiting a fraudulent website.

We recommend the steps above because they will show you how to block pop-up ads and windows in Safari.

Please let us know the outcome after giving the above steps a try.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Safari block pop up ads not working after iOS17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.