Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memojis disappeared after iOS 17 upgrade

I just upgraded to iOS 17 and now my memojis have all disappeared. I checked for how to get them back and found a process that involves the App Store button that SHOULD be next to a camera icon when I open my messages app. Neither the camera nor the App Store icon appears. Without these, I can't proceed to the next steps. I tried looking in Settings to see if I just needed to enable a keyboard, but there was nothing there to enable.

I downloaded a memoji keyboard from the App store, but it's clunky to use - not seamless like the memojis I used to have. How can I get them back?

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 2:40 PM

In new message hit happy face icon by the space bar, Hit "show Stickers", scroll action bar at the top to the right, hit memoji icon and the personalized faces show up. Very complicated compared to the old way. Liked that much better.

490 replies

Sep 22, 2023 5:42 PM in response to singlefisch55

Well, it happened to me, too, yesterday after the iOS update. However, after much frustration and hours after poking around and Googling. So, I clicked on the plus sign in the text box, then clicked on Stickers and Bingo! There they were. Now I can, at least find them. For some, they’re somewhat smaller. But at least I found them. Hope it works for you.

Oct 17, 2023 8:10 AM in response to Tlsherwood45

Tlsherwood45 wrote:

After iOS 17 everything is ridiculously hard to locate. The Memojis and other items that used to run along the bottom of the text screen are now in another location and it is not user friendly. Please bring back the way it was.

No one in this forum can do that. Tell Apple what you'd like to see:

Product Feedback - Apple

Why do you have to change everything each time you update? Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke.

I suspect lots of people complained about the way it used to be. Apple is never going to be able to please everyone all at the same time.

Oct 17, 2023 10:16 AM in response to StopChangingStuff

StopChangingStuff wrote:

I “get” the need to upgrade the iOS. Truly, I do.

BUT WHAT I DON’T GET is the constant need by Apple, Microsoft and others, to rearrange (or hide) stuff from where it used to be, OR CHANGE THE SETTINGS I HUNTED DOWN BEFORE, in order to customize settings to my liking.

One reason is that they look at the feedback they get and the usage data sent from the devices. It's quite possible that lots of people weren't happy with the way things were/and or didn't really use certain features.

Apple: Sure, give is iOS 18. BUT LEAVE MY SETTINGS ALONE! I don’t want to have to FIND, THEN HIDE my location (AGAIN) from advertisers, if you’ve created something cute like Memojis, DON’T make me have to go to a discussion board like this one to find out where they are…BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO LEGITIMATE REASON TO CHANGE THAT SETTING IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Protect us, yes. But don’t drive us crazy every time one of your developers gets an itch!

Apple does not read here for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Feb 2, 2024 9:39 AM in response to singlefisch55

Memojis are there but invisible. To add a bit more detail, my Memojis became "invisible" in the area where you would choose them after installing iOS 17.4. If you tap in the now "blank" area a memoji will be added to your text but you are randomly guessing because you cannot see them. I have an iPhone 13 Plus Max running iOS 17.4.

I have tried all of the usual "fixes", soft reboot, hard reboot, disconnecting and reconnecting to the iCloud, reset network settings, reinstalling the entire phone after wiping it clean and using a backup from iOS 17.3 (the phone refuses to revert to 17.3 however and just reinstalls 17.4), all with no success. Unless I missed something I'm not sure we can fix this on our end.

Sep 24, 2023 2:31 AM in response to singlefisch55

OK, I had the same problem after updating my phone 13 Pro Max to iOS 17.0.1 - I too couldn’t find my Memojis which's I use constantly. It must surely be rectified in the next update. In the meantime, go into Messages to start a new message, at left of the message window which you type in, tap on the + symbol, then tap on the Stickers button, which is 3rd icon from the top, you are then taken into a row of icons, tap on the farthest right one, which takes me into a new full page of my existing Memojis. . then to edit your Memojis, tap on the circle on the far right at the top which has three dots ••• in it, which will take you to a large Memoji you’ve already created, there you have 4 options below your Memoji. . NEW MEMOJI, EDIT, DUPLICATE,  DELETE. . just tap on EDIT to make any changes, then save. This works for me, I hope it works for anyone else having the same problem. Good luck!

Memojis disappeared after iOS 17 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.