Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iPhone lagging and slow after iOS 17 Update

My IPhone 13 has been considerably slower ever since I updated it to ios 17.

Its never been this way in ios 16!

while using safari, I am witnessing frame drops. My keyboard is not smooth. While check for background apps, It’s stuttering and the app overall scroll seems very sluggish and lots of frame drops.

i have more than 50Gb storage space available and my battery capacity is still above 80%.

Even while typing this, My keyboard seems sooooo sluggish!

please help me and suggest me some useful tips to resolve this apart from the usual force restart and all fixes!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2024 12:41 PM

Hey I can suggest you some useful tips from this guide: 9 Steps to fix an iPhone that is lagging and slow after iOS 17 Update. You said your browser is sluggish, for this consider clearing your browser cache and data, you should update all of the Apps on your iPhone, this will make a huge difference. For keyboard slowness, they recommend to have only one keyboard enabled and remove any other if you are having on your phone. Rest check out all steps and apply them from the guide, hope this will help 

200 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2024 12:41 PM in response to Apple_and_Stones

Hey I can suggest you some useful tips from this guide: 9 Steps to fix an iPhone that is lagging and slow after iOS 17 Update. You said your browser is sluggish, for this consider clearing your browser cache and data, you should update all of the Apps on your iPhone, this will make a huge difference. For keyboard slowness, they recommend to have only one keyboard enabled and remove any other if you are having on your phone. Rest check out all steps and apply them from the guide, hope this will help 

Dec 2, 2023 3:16 AM in response to bernard_guri

R U kidding Apple?! Are we going backwards?

Upgraded perfectly fine 13 pro w latest ios16 to 17.1.2 cause of scary stories of bug fixes and only available to ios17 but man do I regret this move!

Two days after indexing and whatever, phone feels and behaves like an iPhone 6s. I'll make an ig and YouTube video showing iphone 12 mini w ios 16 and 13 pro ios 17 how they open and switch apps... This is unacceptable and counter productive.

If ios17 has some hidden code to force use to buy latest product, I'll switch to android after using iPhone since 2007.

Wife has a Samsung s9 who knows how old but sprints apps opening and overall operation. This is unbelievable.

Oct 29, 2023 2:58 PM in response to JJRASC

I have the same issues, not only on an iPhone 13 but on a wi-fi iPad Air 5. Both were running perfectly on ios 16 but one of the ios 17 updates has caused freezing, slow updates and poor performance on both. they both have plenty of storage (96GB free on the phone and 142Gb on the iPad. If Apple won’t fix the problem then why don’t they resign iOS16 so people can downgrade. It’s pretty bad when you spend the kind of money that iPhones and iPads cost and then get poor performance due to the software.

Dec 6, 2023 4:45 PM in response to Apple_and_Stones

Yeah this is definitely unacceptable, I have an iPhone 13 Pro 512 GB and it is extremely laggy, especially in iMessage and keyboard it's unbelievable.

I'll be typing something in two minutes later it finishes it, dictation does the same thing, and trying to select text and copy things is absolutely ridiculous, it's like having a 25-year-old phone but paying $1500 for it!

fix this Apple please immediately!

Dec 22, 2023 11:18 AM in response to Apple_and_Stones

Same here, ios 17.2.1 on iPhone 12 pro max.

the keyboard is so slow and laggy, it looks like using the iPhone 4 with ios 7.

The battery health is 92% and the phone need to be charged 2 times a day.

ios 16 was laggy too, but at least my battery was lasting a decent amount of time and I could still write messages the right way.

This is NOT a normal behavior, 1450€ for a phone that is more laggy than a 10 years old phone.

Apple needs to fix all this, I’m considering to stop being an Apple user after 10 years.

And stop providing false fixes like restarting the phone and resetting the keyboard.

The price is rising and the service quality is getting worse year after year.

Oct 21, 2023 7:03 PM in response to Apple_and_Stones

I was advised to:

(1) Reset the dictionary back to the default (for me, that is just English)

(2) Make sure all apps are turned off

(3) Restart the phone

(4) Test the lag whether still happening

(5) Add back dictionaries needed.

It seemed to work for me thereafter.

Additional step suggested was to turn off the Predictive text in Keyboard as part of the above, then add it back in after restarting the phone.

iPhone lagging and slow after iOS 17 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.