Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Screen distance option not working.

Hello! Ever since iOS 17 launched, I have wanted to use the new screen distance option. After turning it on, it doesn’t work. Tried restarting the device and then turning on the option, still no success. Some people say that I have to keep my phone closer for like 1-2 mins which should not be true as I have seen that the warning appears 1 or 2 seconds after you hold your phone close to your eyes. Any suggestions? Device: iPhone 13

iPhone 13, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 10:41 AM

Hey JustJan05,

You're correct, it does not say how much time you'll need to hold your iPhone closer than 12 inches for the alert to appear here: What is Screen Distance? - Apple Support

Since this feature uses the TrueDepth camera like Face ID, let's reset Face ID to see if that helps. Here's how:

• Check that nothing is covering the TrueDepth camera such as a case or screen protector
  • Make sure your face isn't blocked and that you're facing the camera
  • Restart your iPhone - Apple Support for fresh connections
  • If those steps don't help, reset Face ID. You'll tap Settings > Face ID & Passcode > Reset, then set it up again.

The above steps can be found here too: If Face ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support

Let us know how it goes.

Take care!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2023 10:41 AM in response to JustJan05

Hey JustJan05,

You're correct, it does not say how much time you'll need to hold your iPhone closer than 12 inches for the alert to appear here: What is Screen Distance? - Apple Support

Since this feature uses the TrueDepth camera like Face ID, let's reset Face ID to see if that helps. Here's how:

• Check that nothing is covering the TrueDepth camera such as a case or screen protector
  • Make sure your face isn't blocked and that you're facing the camera
  • Restart your iPhone - Apple Support for fresh connections
  • If those steps don't help, reset Face ID. You'll tap Settings > Face ID & Passcode > Reset, then set it up again.

The above steps can be found here too: If Face ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support

Let us know how it goes.

Take care!

Nov 6, 2023 12:46 AM in response to JustJan05

I tried these ways to work my Screen Distance feature properly. Here, you can try it too.

Ensure the iPhone screen is clean and dust-free, especially the Dynamic Island that holds your TrueDepth camera, which should not be obstructed by dust.

Check your settings. Screen Distance should be unable. If it isn't, Go to Settings >>> Click on Screen Time >>> Click on Screen Distance >>> Turn it on.

The Assistive Access feature can stop Screen Distance from working. If Assistive Access is active, to exit the interface, triple-click the power button >>> Select Exit Assistive Access from the list >>> Enter the Assistive Access passcode to exit the interface.

Sometimes, fancy cases and improperly applied screen protectors block the TrueDepth camera and cause the Screen Distance feature to stop working.

Screen distance option not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.