How to restore with admin lock forgotten PW screen A1224 os 10.4.10

I was gifted am older 2007 A1224 os 10.4.10 20" bur has an admin lock PW that I can't get passed. Using a Windows keyboard so Ctrl or windows is command key +r on start up and doesn't go to an erase all disc data then reinstall o/s with the factory os disc still installed in the side slot.

I read somewhere you had to have an Ethernet Internet cable connected and there was a way of doing an internet factory reset this way.

Thanks

How do you reset this model with an admin 🔒 that doesn't offer forgotten PW recovery or try different method after so many sign in attempts.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 10:55 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Sep 27, 2023 11:10 AM in response to JustinRaney2004

See if you can create a new administrator account by restarting the Setup Assistant:

1. Boot into Single User Mode: Start/restart your Mac. As soon as you hear the startup tone, press and hold ⌘ + S until you see a black screen with white lettering. (If you end up back on the login screen after a flash of the black screen with white lettering, enter your password and it will return to the black screen.)
  2. Check and repair the drive by typing /sbin/fsck -fy then ↩ enter - as directed by the on-screen text.
  3. Mount the drive as read-write by typing /sbin/mount -uw / then ↩ enter.
  4. Remove the Apple Setup Done file by typing rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone then ↩ enter.
  5. Reboot by typing reboot then ↩ enter.
  6. Complete the setup process, creating a new admin account.

Be very careful to notice the spaces in those Terminal Commands.

Once you've done that the computer reboots and it's like the first time you used the machine, except all your data will still be there. Your old accounts are all safe. From there you just change all other account passwords in the account preferences!!

Sep 21, 2023 4:17 PM in response to BDAqua

If you connect an ethernet cable will the computer automatically connect to the internet? Says sometimes trying to reinstall os reset will work with the internet connection on the apple support.

what is ctrl is ctrl considered command? So its options-alt command-windows +r+p or command+r on startup but having trouble. I read somewhere that before 2010 imac had the pw stored in the ram and after 2010 they were stored in the efi.

So basically have to swap a ram the max capacity is 4gb of this model and it has two slots only comes with a 1gb ram 250gb hd from the factory. SO basically id have to get a new ram as its 2007 imac and attempt this again alt/windows/r/p which will chime flash 3 times and then reboot to a normal screen without a pw lock. After that i believe you can reinstall the original ram.

Somewhere i read you have to change the size of the ram to perform this task some have 4 slots and 2 rams already so youd only have to remove one and do this method but as its only a 2 slot 1gb ram from the factory and max capacity 4gb. They sell 2 2gb rams for this model for 10$ on amazon.May be worth the try.

Other then that does anyone know on an older 2007 os 10.4.10 imac 20" 1gb ram 250gb hd how to reset it with a admin pw lock thats forgotten. I talked with apple support we tried several methods trying to get to diagnostics and only got to the macintosh hd globe screen by holding alt.

Im trying to do the command+r on start up to erase all disc data macintosh hd then reinstall o/s.

Sep 23, 2023 9:34 AM in response to den.thed

May i ask are the original disc already preinstalled on the computer? Or are they only given with the computer then removed once installed normally? Theres a disc port but with the windows keyboard where is the eject button as there isnt one on the side of the A1224 2007 model imac 20" It is a 2 slotted only 1gb ram and 250gb hd. It says max capacity 4gb ram for this cpu amazon has 2gb rams for 8$ or 2x2gb rams for 12$ would just installing a new ram be the better option about doing this? I read they pw is stored in the ram pre 2010 and after the pw is stored in the efi so swapping the ram wouldnt work.

This disc may be installed how would you go about resetting it doing this method?

With a windows keyboard which is cd eject button as the side slot does not have a button.

Does it need to be connected to the ethernet internet cable to do the internet connection factory reset with the windows/r or windows/alt/r buttons?

How to restore with admin lock forgotten PW screen A1224 os 10.4.10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.