format a usb flash drive as fat32 but it defaults to fat16

I am in need of a true Fat32 15gb USB drive. I am told that any USB drive formatted by Disk Utility defaults to Fat16. Don't want and cannot use any USB drive formatted to Fat16. The instructions are clear and precise but Disk Utility has now become so automatic that it's making assumptions I don't want. So, the drive I formatted also has a bunch of other hidden Mac folders and files on it. So, again, I ask respectfully, how do I format a USB drive of 15gb capacity in Fat32 without a bunch of hidden Mac folders/files. Thanks so much.

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 3:20 PM

Did you try and fail, or did you just listen to the FUD? I've never had a USB stick end up in FAT16. I don't even think it can do it. You have to use the diskutil command line utility to format FAT16.

Make sure you use MBR as the partition scheme.

There will always be hidden Mac folders. That's how the Finder works. It writes a lot of hidden stuff to drives.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2023 3:20 PM in response to PanamintMark

Did you try and fail, or did you just listen to the FUD? I've never had a USB stick end up in FAT16. I don't even think it can do it. You have to use the diskutil command line utility to format FAT16.

Make sure you use MBR as the partition scheme.

There will always be hidden Mac folders. That's how the Finder works. It writes a lot of hidden stuff to drives.

Sep 21, 2023 4:26 PM in response to PanamintMark

Used Terminal. I was able to format the drive in FAT32 but did not use MBR. I don't know what command to use in Terminal to correctly format the partition scheme. Thanks in advance.
man diskutil

Look at the eraseDisk and the partitionDisk verbs.

eraseDisk  [-noEFI] format name [APM[Format] | MBR[Format] | GPT[Format]] device
                Erase an existing disk, removing all volumes and writing out a new partitioning scheme containing one new empty
                file system volume.  If the partitioning scheme is not specified, then an appropriate one for the current
                machine is chosen.  Format is discussed below in the section for the partitionDisk verb.  Ownership of the
                affected disk is required.
                If -noEFI is specified, do not create EFI partition on the target disk.

partitionDisk is too much information to put here.

I'm not certain, but I think MBR[Format] means you can use MBR or MBRFormat.

So,

diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 Foo MBR disk#

format a usb flash drive as fat32 but it defaults to fat16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.