Phone changed to photos on sideways lock screen on iOS 17 - Unable to change back to calendar and clock

I downloaded iOS17 for my iPhone 14. I loved that when I put it on the charger and moved it sideways that it would show a clock and a calendar.

Today, it randomly changed to showing the pictures from my stack. I have repeatedly "Long pressed" the screen to change it back to the clock and calendar - but the only options I'm given are to change the pictures.

I've tried looking for "Lock Screen" and "Widgets" in Settings to no avail. I am very frustrated, and so far, very unimpressed with iOS17

Posted on Sep 21, 2023 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 10:27 PM

You can turn this off in settings. Search StandBy and swipe it off! Hope this helps!

19 replies

Feb 2, 2024 11:46 AM in response to CaliICE

When your iPhone is plugged in and resting in the horizontal orientation, the default action seems to display photos that exist on your phone. You can simply change what is displayed by swiping left or right on the display in the locked state. My preferred setting is to show a calendar on one half of the screen and the weather on the other half, but there are many configurations using different widgets. You can customize the display by touching and holding down on the screen, and you will be prompted to unlock the phone. There is no indication that swiping left or right on the locked screen will change the display when locked. A much better approach would be for Apple to at least show an icon that can be tapped to edit the locked screen display, or add a menu option in the Setting app.

May 3, 2024 12:11 AM in response to CaliICE

Hello! On standby mode, you can swipe left or right to access the different types of stand-by screens. The first standby is the ‘Time and Clock’ mode; you probably swiped to the next mode, which was photos—there’s one more if you swipe again, it’s the tide & clock mode.

***To fix this, go to stand-by mode—unlock your phone if you have to—and swipe back to the ‘Time and Clock’ screen.***

I hope this helps!

Phone changed to photos on sideways lock screen on iOS 17 - Unable to change back to calendar and clock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.