Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Can't select AirPrint Printer after iOS 17 Update

When I try to print the no printer selected is displayed, when I select the printer it starts to connect but the no printer selected comes back. There is a printer there and has worked previously, is this something because of an update?

There is a printer there but it does not pick it up, it was fine last week. Is this because of an update?

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 12:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 9:34 PM

I can no longer print from my iPhone to my HP Printer after the latest software update. No printer, select HP Printer, “Gathering Printer Information then goes back to select printer. Very frustrating

188 replies

Oct 7, 2023 7:29 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

I spent over 30 years doing computer support, that included iPhones from way back.

No this is not an error with my printer (not really), one things and only one thing changed in my setup, I updated my phone to the latest iOS. Now it is possible that Apple make a change to Air Print, but in doing the change they missed some thing for backwards compatibility. Yes it is possible that there is a change in AirPrint that can be made on the printer, no there is not an update available at this time for my printer (Dell E525W). The printer is 5 to 10 years old, the most current firmware was designed around the current AirPrint specification at that time. No I do not have any VPN on my phone. Yes private WiFi address is enabled, but it worked with this before the iOS 17 update, (I disabled it and tested, no joy). Yes the phone, network equipment, and printer have been power cycled.

This is an iOS 17 update issue, Apple made some minor change in AirPrint that had disrupted connections to older printers, not all printers but some older printer. The symptoms are that when you go to printer, you select the printer, the printer is seen by your phone, it is listed as an available printer (is broadcasting that is it an AirPrint printer), when it is selected the phone returns to the print screen but in the selected printer field it still says "no printer selected".

Now it is possible there is a setting that can be changed in the AirPrint Settings on the printer that will fix this. But the bottom line is this all worked before iOS 17 and fails after iOS 17. If it is an AirPrint setting on the printer, why hasn't Apple released this setting information. What bothers me is I have not see Apple replay to this issue, it is being reported by many people, they should tells us they recognize the issue and are looking into it. They can tell me they made a change to AirPrint and printer manufactures need to release and update. They can tell us something, nope crickets.

Oct 7, 2023 9:13 AM in response to Jonny-surfcity

Success! I turned off private IP address and that did not help. However I did update the firmware on my Canon D570. And now I can print!

From the front panel of my Canon D570, press Menu button, scroll to System Management settings, press OK, scroll to Update Firmware, Press OK, scroll to Via Internet, press OK. Answer OK to terms.

updated in less than 5 minutes.

Oct 6, 2023 11:58 AM in response to Camberleytone

The same over here!!!!

This is a big issue for me. I have been using my iPhone 11 for yearsss and after I updated my iPhone to iOS17 I can’t use my canon FM262DW. My father who doesn’t want to update his phone (I understand why now-lol) do not have any issue. Can any body found a solution??

I already turned off devices, router etc… nothing worked.

Nov 23, 2023 7:47 AM in response to kenn72

I agree and also don’t understand why this issue so many are experiencing has not been resolved.

I’ve got the issue with an HP 8600 Pro also with current drivers and have the same annoying issue.

This is definitely an Apple issue because only my IOS17 devices have the problem.

Let’s go Apple, please fix the issue

Sep 22, 2023 6:06 AM in response to Camberleytone

Thank you.

The Brother DCP-L2530DW supports Apple's AirPrint technology.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

So, it should work even without a special app from the printer manufacturer, provided that the printer and the iPhone are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router).

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

There have been other reports about difficulties in connection with the iOS 17 upgrade. To begin with, try the aforementioned full power-cycle procedure. This may or may not work

Nov 23, 2023 6:58 AM in response to RickinUSA

I'm running iOS 17.1.1 on an iPhone 14 and using an HP OfficeJet Pro 8020 with the latest firmware. When I disabled Private IP, the problem was resolved. However, when I re-enabled Private IP, the printer was still recognized but the printer reported it was no longer available when I attempted to print, even after disabling again. A subsequent iPhone reboot with Private IP resolved the issue. This serious problem was first reported 2 months ago. What is taking so long to fix it? Is AI writing Apple's software now?

Can't select AirPrint Printer after iOS 17 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.